Got out for what might very well be my last ice trip of the year with good friends Ash Barr and Kevin Wood. Both were new to targeting whitefish so we ventured out to Ontario for a day of action. We weren't disappointed with Kevin hooking into his first whitefish just 2 minutes after drilling the holes.

Ash followed up closely with his first of many for the day. His first was a little smaller, but the rest of the day more than made up for it!

Throughout the day, we iced somewhere in the area of 45-50 fish, most being whitefish but there were some tullibee and pike thrown into the mix, and lost probably another 15 or so. Most of the fish were suspended, but Kevin had a hot hole where he could sight-fish the whitefish just a foot or two under the ice. Incredible to watch how hard those fish slam the bait! The highlight of the day once again goes to Kevin who hooked and landed the largest whitefish I've ever seen. It was just shy of the 28" mark and obviously very fat! Talk about beginners luck! Haha.

Great day to be out with temps well above freezing! There was quite a bit of slush in areas, and by the end of the day there was a lot of standing water on the ice. I'm sure the ice is still good to go for a few weeks yet, but I'd be cautious to make sure you don't damage your vehicle.

Andrew Klassen