www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 3/21 Fishing Report

Default 3/21 Fishing Report

The spring open water bite has started on Lake Mendota. The areas by Marshall Park, Pheasant Branch Creek, University Bay have warmed to the point where the Bluegills and Crappies have started to move in and get more active, also in the river up by the Nau-Ti-Gal. They have also been getting a few Catfish by Nau-Ti-Gal. On Lake Monona there have been Bluegills biting in Monona Bay by the railroad tressels and out in front of the boat house in the triangle. Winnequah area is still ice covered, but look for that to open up soon. Viking Park by Stoughton has been producing some nice Bluegills. We've been hearing good reports of Walleye action up by Sauk City dam, also in the WI river above Lake WI.
    D & S Bait & Tackle
    Gene Dellinger

Web Site: http://www.dsbait.com

I always thought once the game fish season ended all you could fish for were panfish and rough fish. Reading that people were fishing for walleye made me check the regs. I think I understand that you can fish for walleye in rivers only during this time with a bag limit of one fish over 15", (for the WI river I think it would need to be 18") is this correct? I was also suprised to see bullhead not listed as a rough fish but you can fish for them year round. Thanks for the report, I might have to do some C&R early walleye fishing.

Default Walleye River Fishing

Can't give you details for most places, but on the Rock River, Mississippi River, Wolf and Fox River you can fish for walleye's year round. The limit is 5. The length on the Rock and Mississippi is 15". The Wolf and the Fox are no minimum length. Bago also for that matter. I don't believe you can fish for Walleye on any Madison lakes. This is off the top of my head. I did not check this years regulations, but I believe they are correct. I fished the Rock River last weekend. I got one legal Walleye and a few shorts. You would find many boats between Blackhawk Island and Jefferson, and some shore spots that work at the right time. Hope this helps. Later D.W.

Default walleye

Bobberdown , just thought i would give you a heads up on one thing you
    stated . early c&r on walleyes, You can not fish for eyes on Madison lakes
    intentionally b-4 the opener . If you catch one by accident and release it
    that is fine. you need to be fishing for crappies lets say . If your throwing
    baits that are questionable its up to the warden and if he believes you.
    Or if you meant the rivers C&R ? hope you do well , its time and its gettin
    better .
    tracker29

I was talking about the WI river. Sounds like there are several good options for river fishing walleyes now. Being stuck on shore I don't mind leaving the lakes alone now.