www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Advice Needed

Default Advice Needed

I'm a newbie (located in Iowa) to the Musky fishing world and looking for some advice on fishing gear. Over the winter I have been doing research to help prepare for the Musky season. I will primarily be fishing in Northern Minn on Leech Lake but am going to try and make it to Lake Kinkaid yet this spring.

My questions:
    1) I purchased a Shimano Calcutta 400B reel. Everything I read indicated this is a high quality reel so Im not too concerned about that. However, I have really only used open face reels in the past with the reel on the left side. I think a left hand retrieve would feel much more normal to me on the baitcaster but I bought a right hand retrieve (still can return). Any one else have the same dilemma when purchasing their first baitcaster? Will it take long to get use to the different setup? Would I be better off getting the left hand retrieve?

2) The rod I bought was the 7'6 St. Croix Premier MHF. Lately I have been reading messages on many sites where people are saying they don't use rods less than 8'. Would I be better off returning this for 8' or greater rod?

3) I want to buy another rod/reel combo for throwing bigger baits such as bulldawgs. What type of rod/reel would you recommend for the bigger baits?

4) What type of rod/reel setup is usually used for trolling?

5) Chad, do you have an availability calendar so I can book a trip for my dad and I up on Leech?

Sorry for all the questions but hoping for some advice. This message board seems to be pretty active compared to the other ones right now but that is probably because all of you have the luxury of being able to fish for musky right now!!!

Also since I know Chad fishes on Leech I thought he might know what works best for that area.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Chris

Re: your reel situation, I went through the same process about 12 years ago or so. Having fished almost exclusively with spinning tackle for my first 15 years or so, I also had become very accustomed to a left-hand retrieve, even though I was right-handed. Like you, I also bought a right-handed baitcaster, as left hand models were much harder to find back then. After struggling with it, I immediately changed and have never looked back. One of the great benefits of fishing with a left hand retrieve for muskies is that you'll always be more efficient than guys that have to switch back/forth, so you'll be able to consistently produce more casts/hour and per day on average overall [once you're proficient] vs. those that have to make the switch each time. I've actually seen several pro's recently make the recommendation for current right-hand retrieve guys to give this switch a swing on the same basis. As for the rod, longer is generally better as you can not only cast further, but can also make larger/deeper figure 8's more easily, which is really important; especially on bigger fish that need more room to make the turn. That said, the St. Croix rod you bought is a great rod - I have a couple just like them myself. Good luck fishing !

I appreciate the response...exactly the advice I was looking for.

Hey Chris,

When are you looking to go? I will be up there from mid June to early October. I really don't fish Leech until a little later in the summer since it is usually such a slow starter! It is usually rocking though by August.
    Chad Cain Guide Service
    Chad Cain

Web Site: http://www.chadcain.com

We are looking at either Aug or Sept. We will be making trips up both months. I know for sure we will be there Sept. 5th - 11th. If you have a day open that week, preferrably at the beginning of the week that would be good.