www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Reports

Default Reports

Hey guys-
    Long time reader and first time posting...
    I have fished the Spillway quite a bit and enjoy targeting the Muskie but have to admit....walking the cement and rip rap gets boring....
    I am going to try and fish the lake a lot this year and was wondering what the pre-spawn bite is like on Shelbyville?? I understand the fish move shallow for prespawn and spawn and are especially catching on southern resovoirs. How is the pre-spawn bite?? There is so much written about Kinkaid the the kentucky muskie lakes in March and April, but it seems all the literature on Shelbyville is about trolling in May. Was anyone out on the lake this weekend??

Default Spawning Muskies

We headed out collecting muskies last night for diets. What an awesome site. Usually I fish in the Fall but I might start now. We boated 6 muskies in a 50 meter stretch of shoreline. All were paired up. It was incredible. In all we collected 9 fish most between 35-39in. and we ended up collecting 4 diets of which were shad. Yes, shad not bass, damn bass fishermen.
    When we go to canada we hit at spawn or post spawn, most fish we catch are males and they are shallow, so why cant it be done here?????
    Any thoughts Kevin, I know you're out there!!

Default Wish to hear more

That is great news Wish;

Its good to hear of the work that you are doing on the lake, and that these muskies are starting to feed on shad. But I am curious to know not so much on the where about of your findings, but what of the water temperature, when it comes to the shallows. Illinois weather patterns , fluctuate so much, could one or two degrees throw off the spawning mode in these muskies? I also would like to know the time of day, and the climate-sunny or Overcast. Do you have a report that you could send to our Stocking Director, let me know ..........

kev

Default State Record Muskie

Well we are finishing up muskie sampling this spring at Mingo and Pierce. Mingo was a bust this year. The last two years have produced 100 fish in a week of trap netting. This year only 60. Since last year was a flashy year with water levels we believe afew went for a ride down the spillway. And we had reports that somewhere caught down there.
    I was up on Pierce last week. We ended up with 40 fish. The fish just started coming up shallow. No fish over 39". But we got a 11lbs 5oz walleye. Nice fish. We currently have a crew up there now. I believe in two days they have 50 fish. What is sweet is that they got a pig. I guess she was sublegal but outweighed the current state record, 47in and 40lbs. The girth was not measured but its huge.
    I have not been on Shelbyville yet this spring fishing. Just wondering if anyone has been out yet and if they are seeing any fish?