www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Edward Walden Eagle Lake Fish

Default Edward Walden Eagle Lake Fish

In his Compendium of Muskie Angling History (Volume 1), Larry Ramsell discusses the record muskies that have come out of Eagle Lake. John Coleman's 60.8 pounder in 1939 came out of the big lake somewhere out of Eagle River and a year later Edward Walden caught a 61 pound 9 ouncer fishing out of our own Andy Myers Lodge in Vermilion Bay. Does anybody know where these fish were caught? No doubt Walden's fish, at least, came out of a spot we all fish regularly. For the sake of the history of our sport it would be fun to be able to make a bow to the long time Canadian record when casting to that spot.
    Last edited by Bill Hedden; 03-13-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Maybe Larry Ramsell can chime in. However, I thought I had heard/read that Musky Point is named as such because of one of the Eagle 60lbers. If Walden was fishing out of AML, that might where it was caught.

I also thought I had heard somewhere that another 60lber was caught off of Three Sisters back in the day.

How many 60lber's have ever been caught off of Eagle? I thought it was 3. Number 4 this summer.

-Dan

Hey guys, I have a little insight into J.J. Colemans 60lber. It was caught from Mackenzies Big Eagle musky camp 1939. It was somewhere in the vacinity of Coleman's reef!!! I also have the original Photos of the fish, they are pretty amazing to say the least.

Scotty jaeger
    AML guide

Default herbie

musky point it was and obviously colemans was caught somewhere near colemans. have also heard the reports of the 3 sisters fish but to date no confirms.

there have been some tremendous fish reported and seen in recent history actually very recent also but untill one comes to net it is nothing more than a story but.....the potential is there and having been there i believe/know it can/could happen here any several ther fisheries. the good ole days of musky fishing are upon us not behind us!!!!

actually eagles future is very bright especially for MUSKIES now both in numbers and jumbos and WALLEYES in both numbers of eaters as well as trophys 28-32"+.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Jags View Post
    Hey guys, I have a little insight into J.J. Colemans 60lber. It was caught from Mackenzies Big Eagle musky camp 1939. It was somewhere in the vacinity of Coleman's reef!!! I also have the original Photos of the fish, they are pretty amazing to say the least.

Scotty jaeger
    AML guide
    Scotty "Jags"? LOL.

Dude, I'm still waiting for you to send the DVD of the old footage your parents used to show at their lodge (didn't you say you were goin' to get it transferred to DVD). I want to specifically see the 8mm film of the old "native" guide jumping into the water after that woman's fish broke off, and coming back to the boat with it!!!!

BTW, for the life of me I cannot remember what I said to you in the boat, when we were giving each other sh!t, that made you stop fishing and put your head down. Remember that? Haha, that Friday (the day after my 54") was me and you bantering for 8 hours while we watched Lane fish.

Then of course when you went to lift that one fish out of the net I said, "Scott, you're sure you know how to do this now, right?" And you looked at me like, "Yeah right."...and of course the rest is history.

See ya soon amigo!!!

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    musky point it was and obviously colemans was caught somewhere near colemans. have also heard the reports of the 3 sisters fish but to date no confirms.
    I guessed right!!! You gotta figure "Musky Point" is named for a big musky!!!

Yeah, I heard of the Three Sisters fish too. But if it's not on Larry's compendium, that probably means it more legend than anything. Given my experience there (never seen a fish), I'm guessing it's probably a really, really nice fish that's "grown" over the years.

there have been some tremendous fish reported and seen in recent history actually very recent also but untill one comes to net it is nothing more than a story but.....the potential is there and having been there i believe/know it can/could happen here any several ther fisheries. the good ole days of musky fishing are upon us not behind us!!!!
    You guys and your guests keep at it, and it's gonna happen dude. I have no doubt. There's been a 55"+ caught each of the last 4 years, right? One of these times it's gonna be a 57-59" with girth to match. And then you're talking something approaching 60lbs or so. The good ole days ARE upon us Herbie; and the next 55lb+ Eagle Monster is going to happen out of your lodge.

actually eagles future is very bright especially for MUSKIES now both in numbers and jumbos and WALLEYES in both numbers of eaters as well as trophys 28-32"+.
    It is bright. And don't forget the pike we catch fishing for Muskies. I personally got 41" and 42" (the latter with big fall girth) "incidental" trophy pike. Then of course there was Chuckie's 44" behemoth last year (how funny was that picture session? ). And it's my understanding your walleye guys pull up some great (40-48") pike too.

D@mn, the weather is like 72 degrees here, and we're talking big fish. I'm getting all fired up man. This means the season is right around the corner. Can't wait.

See ya soon (but as always, not soon enough!!!).

-Dan

Scotty Jags????

nice name.

Next time I am up I would love to have a look at the pics of the coleman fish!!! I have heard of the 3 sisters fish too, and a while back someone told me a 60 was caught at brandings reef? I dont remember who said it but it stuck.

Cant wait to see you guys!!!

Alex

Alright...Stop it! All this big fish talk is making me crazy. August seems like a lifetime away...Only five more months! I guess that's better than the twelve month wait we had when we pulled out of camp.

Fishing on Eagle is unreal...see and hear of more big fish every year! And it's today not fifty years ago. Just a matter of time until everything falls in line and someone nails that record fish of a lifetime.

Take care guys and enjoy this little burst of nice weather.

Talk with you soon

Chuck

Thanks to Herbie and Scotty for confirming the locations of the Walden and Coleman fish, and to Dan for his correct intuition about Musky Point. I stupidly never put Coleman together with Coleman's Reef. I think the reason that we are so excited about big fish past and present is because we actually see the big ones from time to time. That is highly unusual in fishing these days. I have fished all over the world and caught almost every variety of big game fish you can think of, and almost nowhere else can you realistically say that the good old days are now like you can on the best musky waters. I can tell you for sure that people in marlin camps aren't sitting around talking about Alfred Glassell's 1,560 pound black marlin very much because they never see a fish of that caliber these days. It would be too sad to fantasize about it. But just during my all too short stays at AML last year I boated a girthy 53" and saw at least four fish that were substantially larger than that one. My nephew had a monster follow to the boat three separate times during one very exciting afternoon and evening. Now I can add the thought of Walden's big fish to my own memories of Musky Point. On one pass along there last year I raised five separate fish, all but one of which were in the 45-50" range. At last light one evening I had an enormous wake pile up behind a jackpot on the still, silvery surface inside the weeds at the Point. The fish took a huge swipe at the lure, missed, and disappeared. That fish can be almost any size in my imagination. No wonder we dream about getting back to the lake.

By the way, Scotty you ought to find a way to post some of your historic stuff on the website. I bet you have some amazing photos and memorabilia that would be hugely interesting to the rest of us.

To everyone who has chimed in the last few days. It makes me crazy as well talking of fishing miskies on eagle again this season at Herbies. His resort makes even the most addicted musky angler more addicted. I will scrounge up some old photos and post them. I will make a copy of my old musky footage from eagle some 40+ years ago and give it to Herbie. It is pretty cool but also very sad to see how they treated these amazing fish back then. All of my old footage came from a lady named Ethel Knapp who used to fish eagle the whole month of september with her nephew Glenn. The old 8mm film my dad used to show once a week at the resort i now have on dvd. What everyone calls Coleman's reef today, is what I actually call Knapps hole. Her personal best came from there and was around the 50lb mark. I know i like to ramble on as many of you know who have fished with me.

Scotty

It is pretty cool but also very sad to see how they treated these amazing fish back then.
    I see what you are saying. However, as you know, times were different back then. People just didn't know it was a limited resource.

That sort of historical treatment of this amazing fish is part of our "heritage" as Musky Fisherman, and therefore I accept it. I don't "like" it, but it is what it is, and it's important to understand it. Heck, it should serve as a reminder to us all what can, and will, happen if we slip back to the "old days". And they all used to do it; don't let anyone tell you differently. Watch the old videos of some of the best known pros/guides (even the Lindners)...they all are smacking fish around and you can see em dropping the fish into the bottom of the boat, etc. Thankfully 1.)most all musky fisherman these days know better 2.)Ontario is aggressive with its Musky Mgmt 3.)AML will not allow the killing of a fish (54"+ legal or not).

I play poker sometimes on Facebook. My picture is me holding my 54". You would not believe how many people comment on it, and ask "how many people did it feed?", etc. When I try to explain it's catch and release, I usually get a response like, "Oh, that's stupid." OR "What is wrong with you?" I don't let it bother me. They just don't know better...like the people in the old days. We must all remain vigilant in the management and support of the resource. If we don't protect it, we cannot assume others will (do it for us).

It is true that it is a much better feeling to let the fish go. Call me crazy (or a dork, or whatever), but this winter, from time to time, I do wonder what "my fish" is doing under the ice. And I'm glad that 1.)she can keep her genetics in the system 2.)maybe someone else, hopefully out of AML, can experience the thrill of catching her this summer (or next year, or whenever). She's right there in Vermilion Bay.

I'll keep going to Eagle, cause I know there are "more giant giants" in there. I'll keep plugging away, and getting better. And who knows, maybe one day the musky gods will smile down upon me again. If not...then oh well. It's still a pleasure to be there and experience the thrill of everyone catching/seeing Muskies, see all the people/staff, and spend a week or two in God's country. I wouldn't spend my vacation any other way.

-Dan

You? Ramble on? Noooo.

Seriously, if you've ever fished with this guy you know he has the history of Eagle Lake down as well as anyone. From the famous spots, the past fishermen, legendary fish, etc., he has it logged in his long term memory. He's a great guy to fish with when the fishing is slow. Not much of a fisherman but great guide and net man.

Default Scotty

For any of you who haven't fished with Scott, it really is a pleasure. Fun times, and a LOT of cool history to share. Gotta watch that guy, though. If you're not quick, he'll catch the fish right out from under you!

Dan, you think it's weird wondering what the fish you actually caught is doing under the ice? I'm still wondering about some of the ones I barely got a look at! One in particular, I'm calling it Scott's fish. It was a good 54", easily a 35# class fish. Had her up 13 different times over three days. Last day, second or third time through the spot it finally decided to eat going into my second figure 8. Thought we had her for sure. Watched her flare her gills, opened her mouth, charged at the bait, and then *bonk*... Not sure if she tried to eat the trolling motor or if I just led her right at it and she missed the bait, but MAN what a heartbreaker! Gotta give credit where credit is due here, because when I looked back at Scott a few minutes before he was just sitting there running the boat. I said "Scott, what are you doing? Aren't you fishing?" "nope" he says. "No way. You're catching that fish. I'm not even going near it..." Class act right there. Not many guides would do that.

All this talk about Eagle, and big fish? Man, you guys are killing me!

Smile

Shane Spencer, i was wondering if you were still alive. I can honestly say that over the last five years i've netted by far more big fish for you, than you for me. That just goes to show you that i like to see everyone catch fish.

Scott

esoxaddict:

Not sure what your biggest is, but keep the faith brother. You're on the right lake. I NEVER doubted my 50+ would come off Eagle.

Actually, two seasons ago now, I completely blew what Scott "Jags" called a 35# class fish ("Oh Danno, that was a big, big heavy fish."). I was beside myself. She went around a few times, disappeared, then came flying out from under the boat. I was so startled I set the hook "out" and pulled the bait right out of her mouth. I can still see it all like slow motion NOW, though when it happened it was no more than a second. She nailed it, gills out, head shaking. Before that the biggest fish I ever had a crack at was 45" (and boated). That night, with some help (you know who you are), I got a 47" which helped ease the pain. Of course, on the 47", I did everything perfect, etc, etc.

Later that week, I had on about a 50-51", wasn't hooked good in the 8. Fought her well. But she freaked when the net hit the water, and got off. Point is, sh!t happens. Losing both of those fish in one trip in 2007 was huge for me because 1.)I loosened up a bit, but got an "edge" on my attitude at the same time 2.)I sensed I finally had (was taught by some awesome people actually) what it took to trigger the bigger fish at boatside, it was working, and it all just seemed to be coming together.

So keep at it. Don't despair. Keep getting better and learning. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and stay loose and calm. It WILL happen on Eagle sooner or later.

Not sure if I ever posted this. My Dad and I were two days into our first trip on Eagle in 2001 (back when my Dad used to go ). He's fished all over, fresh and salt water. All different kinds and sizes of fish, and different styles (fly, etc). We had been Musky fishing in Wisconsin (we used to have a house up there) and on Lake of the Woods (2 trips). Anyway, after the 2nd day fishing on Eagle were back at the cabin and were having a beer and relaxing before dinner. My Dad says, "You know this Musky stuff isn't really my thing. But we've been doing it for a while, and I've been to many fishing destinations all over the world. Dan, this is a serious fishing camp Steve is running here. They're not playing around here. And I don't know about you, but we've seen stuff in just two days that we haven't seen anywhere else. You keep coming back here, whether I can or am able to come with you or not, and you are going to get the musky you've been after since you were a kid."

On August 28, 2008 at roughly 8:35AM, my Dad was proven right. Last year was actually the first time he didn't make the trip as he cannot take the drive and the pounding of Musky Fishing anymore (he actually injured his wrist working out a few years before). So he missed the big moment, but he was really excited when he saw the pictures.

D@mn, you guys. I'm getting all fired up for the season with all this talk!!!

-Dan

PS: To answer the question. YES, I do think it's weird to think what "my fish" is doing under the ice. But then again, musky fisherman are crazy. So I'm therefore crazy and weird. And only you other crazy and weird musky guys get it. And personally, I don't care if nobody outside of the musky world gets it or not.

Default 50"

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dan. I don't doubt it one bit that my first 50" will be on Eagle. Broke my personal best two years in a row fishing out of AML. 47" in 2007, 49.5" last year. It's bound to happen this year. Missing the 54" was tough. I mean how close do I have to get, know what I'm saying? But it was so much fun chasing that fish for three days, the fact that I didn't catch it only bothered me because I knew it would be a while before I had another shot at her.

When it happens, I honestly hope it happens in Scott's boat. He works hard out there, all the guys do. But I think out of everyone at camp, with the possible exception of Herbie, Scott would enjoy netting that fish for me as much as I'd enjoy catching it. Scott -- we're on this year, and we're putting a 50 in the net!

Kinda hope you catch it so I can give 'ya crap for stealing my fish, though!

If you get the chance to fish with Scott make sure you ask him about the boyhood crush he had on Ethel. I'm not sure if he was attracted by her looks, how hard she fished, or the way she worked the Pikie Minow. She was an extraordinary woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Spencer View Post
    If you get the chance to fish with Scott make sure you ask him about the boyhood crush he had on Ethel. I'm not sure if he was attracted by her looks, how hard she fished, or the way she worked the Pikie Minow. She was an extraordinary woman.
    Will definitely ask him about this. I could definitely see him getting excited over a woman working a pikie minnow.

Anything else we can use to embarrass him?

-Dan

yep, there is plenty of stuff. like the time he got out of the boat and played on some rocks... Scotts rock... tons of stuff.

ALex

Scotty Jags hahahahahah

I've read alot of BS in the previous posts...Scotty CAN NOT net a fish. I am living proof!!! Just kidding Scotty....can't wait to fish with this fall so you can redeem yourself LOL

Howard

Men, I have plenty I could share about Zoro (Scott) but fear there would be some retaliation.

Howard, I think you're right. What I should have said was that Scott has the physical attributes to be a good net man (strong back, long ape like arms) but mentally he does struggle and get a little excited which has cost me and I'm sure his clients some fish. He does try very hard though and will always give you 100% percent of what he's got!

Scott is awesome to fish with...We laughed the whole day with him-we were brutal to him missing my PB at the net...but losing it was my fault...but don't tell Scotty that!

Hey Scott: dip and lift
    it's easy, trust me

Howard

Smile

Howard, i do think of that fish you lost!!! If i were you i would'nt get to worried about it. It was only 38". No seriously i know it was around 50". This summer we'll get you a bigger fish anyway. Take care of that boat for me.

Scott

Scott,
    Just get me a legal + 6" and we'll call it even!!! But you'll have to net that one-at least you'll have a bigger target.

Howard

Cool

Howard, you are definately fishing the right body of water to get a legal+6. I just hope it comes out of Herbies restort. Everybody over there works very hard at it. Over the years i have seen a few fish of that calibre. One was not far from where we lost the one last season.

Scott

Legal + 6? Yikes. You're taking the "yao ming" of the Musky world.

I think when you go to Eagle, you got a great shot at a 52-54" in your lifetime. 54-56" is "possible". Anything more than that and you're talking an absolute freak of nature, and the odds are just so stacked against us. One, you gotta locate it. Two, you gotta get it to chase. Three, you gotta get it to commit. Four, you actually gotta land it.

Scotty, the day after I got my fish, you told me, "Danno, I grew up here and I got one 54" to my name. I know a lot of guys who fish here a lot, and haven't hit 54." That was when it really started to hit me. But again, I think on Eagle, everyone has a great, great shot at girthy 52-54". I stand by that.

I think, as Herbie says, the next few classes of fish coming up (that bumper crop of 44-48" fish) is going to be interesting. Just how many are going to hit 50-54" in the next 5-6 years? It could be quite an amazing stretch in the next half decade or so. How many 50"+ fish can Eagle support?

On that last note, I tell my buddies who fish that I fully expect by the time I'm "done" (I'm 35, so I hopefully have many years left in me) that I will have at least a 1/2 dozen 50"+ fish (all from Eagle) reproduced on my wall. In 2010, it looks as though my friends will be coming to fish Eagle. They're seriously talking about it.

ANYTHING can happen on Eagle. World Records are in there. I personally believe anyone who overlooks Eagle as THE prime Musky destination in Canada is only hurting themselves. I went to LOTW twice...haven't been back to LOTW since my first trip to Eagle. I laughed out loud when I read that Musky Hunter article a few issues ago. Ooooh-kay everyone...go to LOTW and Minnesota. That just means more big girthy 50"+ for us who fish Eagle.

Enjoy the ride and upward trend on Eagle my frends. It keeps getting better and better. I know I will be riding the trend for many years to come.

-Dan

Dan, there is no better place than Eagle..... In 1985 i was 13 yaers old and have pictures of me holding a 57" 55lber taken out of my parents resort what a "PIG". I know of a couple that Herbie said he has had in his boat that were at the same mark. They are out there. All you need to think about is what Danny and Travis had chasing their walleyes last seaon out in big open water. Those are the fish that are normally never seen. But they do exsisit.

Dan, there is no better place than Eagle..... In 1985 i was 13 yaers old and have pictures of me holding a 57" 55lber taken out of my parents resort what a "PIG". I know of a couple that Herbie said he has had in his boat that were at the same mark. They are out there. All you need to think about is what Danny and Travis had chasing their walleyes last seaon out in big open water. Those are the fish that are normally never seen. But they do exsisit.
    Oh yeah, I don't doubt they exist. I'm just saying those are the freaks of nature, few and far between. Think of how many good sticks fish out of AML, and on Eagle in general, and there are few fish over 53-54" that are reported. But again, I know it's THE PLACE where I got a "reasonable" chance to beat my personal best.

But seriously, is there anywhere else in Canada where there's as many 50-54" as on Eagle? I fished "prime time" weeks GUIDED on LOTW twice. I saw ONE fish, ONE, that was around the 50" mark +/- 1". Saw maybe 2-3 fish around 4'.

What's even crazier about Eagle these last 3-4 years is that it seems like every fish you catch, or follows, is 42-48". People say it's not a place to go get "numbers". I say "BS". But again, that just means there are more fish on Eagle for the rest of us. In a bad economy, Herbie's lodge is PACKED...and he's building new big cabins seemingly every year. And it's not just Musky either. That's a testament to the fishery and the hard work of the people at AML.

So Scotty...I'm due to catch one with you man. We have unfinished business...you know where. WE WILL HAVE THE LAST WORD, and emerge victorious.

-Dan

I gotta chime on here, too. Scott and all the guides are great. You keep rambling, if that's what you call it, Scott, those stories need to be told. This year Carolyn and I would like to go the next day. It's always the 'next day' that the 50"er is caught! Just kidding. I can tell factual stories of hunts and fishing trips from memory, mine and others i have heard. Some of them are true, too.
    Dave F

Quote Originally Posted by Dave F View Post
    I gotta chime on here, too. Scott and all the guides are great.
    Cal is such a full service guide. He even casted out and caught my sweatshirt as it sank in the lake, after we netted the fish. Of course, he was the one that accidentally tossed it in the water getting the net.