www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Esox on the Fly

Default Esox on the Fly

Ok, from what I have read/heard/witnessed, Spring is one of the better times to catch these fish on the Flyrod since they are usually in shallow. I am curious to know the type of spots that you guys find both Musky and Pike in the Spring. I have had action in shallow weedy bays with both fish. Are there other shallow areas that these fish will visit this time of year that might get overlooked? Are they only looking for the weeds to deposit eggs? Will a shallow silt bottom bay also attract them? Might a silt bottom bay at a temp of 62 be more attractive than weedy bay at 55?

Or, are all of these questions null and void since the fish attempt to reach the same spawning grounds each year?

Jay,

The fish will be looking for food, warmer water, and structure.....most of the time, in that order. Survival is first and foremost (food). While not all muskies will be stacked in one spot, finding the active ones are the goal. The dark bottomed areas are worth exploring whether it be dark mud, dead weed beds, stump fields, etc.....anything that will absorb the sun's heat will radiate that heat back into the water column. If you can find a muddy bay while most of the lake is very clear, that area will be warmer.

If you are fishing on a warm, sunny day during Spring and windy, there will be fish stacking on the windward side of the lake. The upper column of water will get pushed across the colder water bringing baitfish/muskies in with it.

As a general rule, the larger fish are more temperature tolerant in cold water versus smaller fish. I hot water(78+), this ratio works in reverse

A 1 degree difference in water temps for a fish is the equivalent to a 10-15 degree difference for a human.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Cool, thanks Red!! Now I just need some more open water to get after these fish. Lets get this stuff rollin!!!!!!!!