www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icebreaker 2009

Default Icebreaker 2009

Okay, I'm biting the bullet (because Mike made me do it) and setting the date for the Icebreaker on the first weekend in April, which is Saturday the 4th at Barbee Chain. This is far enough out that hopefully everyone can plan for it, but a week before Easter and a week after the Webster club has it's tournament. I've also looked through the bass sites to see if any had a tournament on that weekend and didn't see anything, so hopefully we are good on that date. I'll steal from Muskie addicts playbook from a few years ago for the specifics on time and details.

Meet at the launch on Kuhn at 7:30 and head out at for fishing around 8 am. Lunch at 12:30 at the landing. (Depending on how many people come, it may take a while to get food there, so bring a lunch if you don't want to take a chance of missing time waiting for food when you would rather be fishing.)

Close out the day at 6:00 PM and regroup at the launch to see how everyone did and to critique and judge boat landing skills, lol.

Optional Pool for fun: To anyone who wants to join, we can do $5 bucks into a pot. 1/2 the pot for person who catches biggest fish, and 1/2 the pot for person who catches the most fish. I will make a couple icebreaker t-shirts for the two winners too. Other booby prizes and awards are welcome, (or possibly not welcome, as the case may be) as always.

For anyone who hasn't been to an icebreaker, this is not a tournament, just a fun gathering of guys who like to muskie fish, and anyone is welcome to come and hang out. There are no egos to worry about, just some friendly bashing on occasion so bring your friends, family, and any hot playboy model cousins you may have, and we'll be sure to welcome them all.

We can start the tally below..........

Myself and Half-pint will be there, of course. If you need a partner, or boat partner, shout it out.

Toad

Well Shawn and I will be there for sure. Hopefully I'll have a few fish in the boat before then too
    As far as the $5 pot for big/most fish, I'm in there too but I think it should be split between biggest and second biggest if nobody catches more than one fish, or even pay 3 places, but that's up to you Toad. One person shouldn't get everything if there's only 2 fish caught by 2 different people. Hopefully we'll all get some and it won't be an issue!!!
    I would suggest calling in your order to the Barbee Landing like some have done in years past, unless you're not worried about losing an hour of fishing time. 834-2653 is the number I have for them, not sure if they've changed it in the last 4 years or not though...

If the landing is on the channel between big and little, I think its closed. The boss was up there 2 weeks ago and said its closed down. The one on the channel that is.

Well, thanks for the heads up. There goes lunch I guess. Anybody down there deliver pizza to a boat??

You can always eat at the Barbee Hotel or the pizza place that is attached. They have a pier (not sure if it will be in by that time) on the South end of Little Barbee and you can walk from there.
    Vince Weirick

Well..that sucks..I will be over on Lake Erie chasing big walleye..You guys have fun.. ;(

I'll try to be there. My wife will be in Portland all week, so I have to work out the scheduling.
    John

Yes...it's confirmed that The Landing is closed and for good, not just for the season, with no immediate intetions or abilty to reopen any time soon, until it sells and opens under new management.

As for the weekend of the April 4th...I'm going to see what I can do to try and make that weekend work....gotta move something around to make it happen.

Here's a thought...since The Landing has closed...and there's now the new restaurant at Pie Eyed Pete's on Tippy, with their grand opening to happen sometime in the next couple of weeks...do we want to move this over to Tippy instead? Or keep it Barbee?

I'm not answering that one Mack, I think everyone knows my preference. That said, as long as we can get the full gang together, I really don't care where we have it. Pie Eyed Pete's DOES have some good food though

Yes, great place to eat with lots of room.
    John

has anybody figured out whether or not were gonna move it to tippy? Or we staying with barbie

Tippy it is. Sounds good to me....all of the above apply, except we meet on Tippy... which ramp should we start the day on though?

Well thats a toss up! I guese we should prolly use pie eyed petes. (if we plan on eating there)! Another question is whats the ramp fee at pie eyed petes?

I'll launch at Pete's either way since I'm buying a pass for their ramp. (If I go.) I'll just meet wherever.
    John

You're going Routt! Get over it!! and tell anyone who says you're not to call & talk to me dangit!! And Pete's sounds fine to me. I've got a pass at the ballroom, but since we're not taking my boat, it doesn't matter....

Pie Eyed Petey's increased their ramp fees this year to $15 in/out. It is a great ramp and if you plan on using it throughout the year...talk to Roy and ask him for a season pass. You guys might even try to call them and see if you can get a discount for the number of boats that will be launching there.

Their new bar is TOTALLY AWESOME!!! The owners have gone above and beyond decorating it! Their official grand opening won't be until early summer (probably Memorial weekend), but they were doing the finishing touches on it last week.
    Last edited by Vince Weirick; 03-11-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added information
    Vince Weirick

Okay, 15$ in and out is a bit pricey for me. I guess I would prefer it at ballroom ramp, if that's the case, just as long as it is the same price as it was last year. What do you guys think?

Okay. Looks like I'm "in."

Well what else do we get for the $15?? If that's just to put a boat in the water for a day, I vote for the Ballroom. I'm not aware of any price changes there, at least the yearly pass price hasn't gone up for this year so I'm pretty sure it's still $10....

Someone brought up a good idea though...that if we get a head count as to how many people might show up for this event....maybe....just maybe it'd be worth asking the crew at P.E.P.'s if they'd give us a break on the launch fees for the day, knowing that we're also going to bring some good biz to their new restaurant for lunch for food and beverage.

Worth a shot. Plus....not having any idea of the layout or size of the place....maybe it'd be worth also letting them know how many guys would be eating lunch and to "reserve" some space for us? Not sure how crowded they'd be on a Saturday at noon this early in the year? :shrug:

But...then...Ballroom is fine too. I can go with whatever, wherever, whenever...however....with whomever...

I should be able to be there. Only thing is I haven't a clue where the Ballroom ramp is. I know where PEP's is at.

went by pie eyed's and they said if we have lunch there they will let us use there ramp for $5 a boat.

Default Icebreaker

I'm not doing the family spring break thing this year, so I'd like to participate this time.

I'm not very familiar with Tippy, so I'd like to be a net man for someone who knows a little more about these lakes than I do. Does anyone have any space for me?

Otherwise, I can bring my boat if needed.

Thanks!

TAN

I can't make it to the Webster Ice out tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be joining you next weekend.
    John

Good to hear you can make it John! What about everyone else? It's been quiet for a while, shouldn't we be taking a head count?? Shawn and I will be there. Someone might catch us crappie fishing, but we'll be there

I'll be there, and halfpint will too. We saw PGA and he said he was probably going to be there too. I ordered the t-shirts, so hopefully they will be in on time. Other than that, I'm ready to go.

I'll have the baits that were left over from two years ago. A Slagle and a spinner. I may even have to regift the booby prize from then too.
    John

Hopefully I will have a boat by next weekend, but I don't know if it will be set up yet and ready to go. Otherwise, we'll be in the half-pints vessel.

You can also order your very own 2009 icebreaker t-shirt, if you are so inclined, at the following:

http://www.zazzle.com/logo_2_icebrea...23716493715282

I think this will work, but I've never set up so we'll see.

I'm still in.....

I will be there. Hopefully it wont be as windy..... I know the water came up on Skinner this weekend. They didnt open Tippy and Barbie up until Friday night on the 27th. Water level seemed ok.

Default Updated schtuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Okay, I'm biting the bullet (because Mike made me do it) ......Icebreaker ....April, Saturday the 4th on Tippy.

Meet at the Ballroom launch on Tippy at 7:30 and head out at for fishing around 8 am. Lunch at 12:30 at Pie Eye Petes new Restaurant.

Close out the day at 6:00 PM and regroup at the launch to see how everyone did and to critique and judge boat landing skills, lol.

Optional Pool for fun: To anyone who wants to join, we can do $5 bucks into a pot. 1/2 the pot for person who catches biggest fish, and 1/2 the pot for person who catches the most fish. I will make a couple icebreaker t-shirts for the two winners too. Other booby prizes and awards are welcome, (or possibly not welcome, as the case may be) as always.

Toad
    Made a few edits....but...I think it's now current with the new plans...

Quick question:

Is the main pier at the Ballroom launch installed yet?

Any of the other piers there put in as well to tie up to while waiting for everyone to show up and launch?

Just curious.

Default Icebreaker

Me and Bryan intend to fish this. Hambone

Mack, I'm not sure if the piers are in or not. When we were there a couple weeks ago they were not, but it was really flooded then too We were there the day before they closed the lakes) Haven't been back since. I would guess they'd have them in now, but I don't know for sure...

There were guy's putting in piers on Barbie and Webster last Thurs, Friday and Saturday. I would guess that they are doing the same on Tippy now that it is open too.

Sorry guy's but you picked the wrong weekend for me to join you. Hummmmmm..........now that I think of it, Toad probably planned it that way. LOL!

Have fun and good luck!

Iceman
    Iceman's Guide Service
    Mike Ice

E-mail - icebox9@worldnet.att.net
    Web Site: http://www.icemansguideservice.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast