www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Cold Water Lake Musky

Default Cold Water Lake Musky

Once the ice is off, do you guys have any recommendations for lure presentations in the cold water. I am figuring to keep the baits relatively slow and will try the smaller sizes along with "normal" size baits. This will be my first gig fishing right at ice-out, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I realize that these fish will probably not really get going until the water temps jump a bit, but I just HAVE to get out on the water.

Jay

Use the lures that you catch fish on all year. Just slow down the presentation. If you put it the strike zone they will eat it. They will eat a bass lure or a plow at this time of year. You watch in the papers how many worm dunkers get skis this month. I was hoping to get out but just got out of the hospital last night and my baby girl gets baptized tomorrow. Hopefully next week. Good luck.

Joe,

Thanks for the tips. My trip was uneventful, at least from the Musky side of things. There was a steady wind of about 15mph with some really awesome gusts. Made for some great fun getting the boat on and off the trailer.

Overall, it was GREAT just to find some open water and run through the processes. I think there should be a new fitness video produced called "the Figure-8 and you". It never ceases to amaze me the muscle groups involved in that maneuver when using a 6'10" rod!! LOL

'Dawgs and Blades were all that I threw. I wanted to practice a few "new" techniques that I picked up over the Winter. Between the wind and dodging sheets of ice, it wasn't as much a fishing trip as it was a hopeful freedom from Cabin Fever. I will say this, it was more than enough to get the blood and brain working overtime to get things rolling.

I am very tempted to use some vacation time already. However, I am going to wait for the water to get into the 50's/60's before I start doing that. I still hope to have some vacation left for the Fall fishing this year.

way to go gettng out there TT...I'm living vicariously through you- keep up the reports! our tiger season closes on sunday and I don't think I will have open water by then.

maybe you will see me on the res in a few weeks. I just can't wait either...

As long as the temps don't drop too far to start building more ice, I plan to be out again this weekend. Now that I have one trek out, I can't stop!! LOL It was just too fantastic to be on the water again. Now I just need to find some fish and things will really take off.

Gotta get one of my rigs lined with some new 80# line this week and look out Musky!!!