www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone been out?

Cool deal!!!!! Congrats on the piggy! That right there is the motivation I needed to get my butt on the water! Cool to hear that you got her on a double 10 too!

Tony

Good thing you caught her on the DC's before they become illegal in a few months.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Smile

Thanks guys, it felt real good to set the hook on something solid beside the bottom!!! I just wanted to get a few casts in before the double 10s were banned from all PA waters!!!

Default Keystone Power Dam

Has anyone been to Keystone Power Dam? What are the water levels like? Is the launch clear?

I have never been there and have not heard much about it. Sorry.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Keystone Power Dam is all clear and all launches have been open for over a month or so.

Thought i would mention that i went out for a couple hours last night wading in the Allegheny River. I caught one fat pike about 30 inches on a skirted spinner bait. I was standing in water about 2 feet deep and the fish hit about a pole length away which was pretty cool to see him blow up and out of the water on it. The fish had little black specs all over it. Has anyone else seen these black specs and is it normal?

Chris,

I have seen the specks on River walleye and decided to do a little research on it. Based on what I read, my guesstimation is that the specks are some type of unharmful parasite.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on your question..........
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Thanks Red! I am guessing that the black spots on the fish are not harming it either, that fish looked stubby because it was so fat.

Default Yough Trout

I fished the Yough today for about 4 hrs. and ended up catching&releasing 21 Browns and Rainbows ranging from 12 to 20 inches. I haven't given too much time towards trout the last few years! so with me having clients for the first day of trout season tomorrow, I figured I'd better brush up alittle on them. I guess I didn't do too bad!

Brian

I fished Shenango reservoir in Mercer county today with the kids, and that lake seems to have some nice places to fish.

My partner and I used to chase walleye on Shenango when we were running USFA tournaments on regional PA, NY and OH waters. From what I remember, the lake really gets hot (water temperature) during mid to late-summer.

It was very tough for us to find active "daytime" walleye during that time frame. We hit more bass than anything else.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Keystone Power Dam

Went to Keystone yesterday for the afternoon. Caught a fat 36" musky on a Super Shad Rap walleye pattern.

Does Keystone have stained or clear water? I am thinking of heading over there in the next week or so. The waters closer to me just won't seem to warm up. Still in the low to mid-40's. And, with this front coming through the next couple of days, I don't see them warming in the near future.

Any info on Keystone would be greatly appreciated. I believe that it is included in the Navionics Chip that I have.

Also, any recommendations for places to stay in the area? I might try to get an evening and morning on the lake.
    Last edited by ttabaleulb; 04-20-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Water is pretty clear with a surface temperature of 50 to 52 degrees. The coves were warmer than the main lake. The lake has a 10 hp limit. There is a mid lake island that is about 4 ft under water right now. I had a lot of fish marked around it. Also had fish marked in the coves on the west side of the lake. The western side of the lake is shallower than the 210 side of the lake. The lake gets shallower as you get to the north end. Pretty deep as you get down toward the dam. Not sure about places to stay in the area.

Thanks for the info!! I had an unfortunate run in with a turkey and the hood of my vehicle over the weekend. So, I probably won't get to try out Keystone until I get that taken care of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12