www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Eastern US Tournament Trail

Default Eastern US Tournament Trail

Someone started a similar titled thread on the MH board and I wish it would have started here. It's mostly all the same people that post here that replied, so I think it could be a good topic for us to think about... What do you guys think?? I want to know what people believe are the benefits/costs (not costs to us, but the lakes/environments/ etc.). What kinds of bodies of waters, what states, etc? Do you think this could happen, or would you want it to happen??

Is there a description anywhere??? I have not heard about it yet.....very busy weekend!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Sorry Red, it was on the M1st page. It was just someone throwing an idea out there, that it could be something happening in the future...

I just read the thread........and I do have some comments.

Since musky fishing has the least amount of participants, let's back track the "fish species ladder" to the good 'ole Eastern walleye circuits that have come and gone. My partner has been taking 8-26 hour trips for 18 years or so just to fish a bonafide walleye circuit that will payout more than a few thousand bucks per event. He has bitched, moaned and bitched some more about why the East just cannot seem to keep BIG walleye circuits out here......he and I discuss this everytime we go on a road trip. Back in the mid and late-90's, he and I actually ran a walleye circuit under the old USFA association and had tournaments on Shenango Lake, Mosquito Lake(OH), Pymie, Kinzua, Lake Erie both in Geneva (OH) and Dunkirk (NY) and Chautauqua Lake (NY). We rarely had more than 30 teams and sometimes only had 17-23 teams. We called and talked to guys all over a 5 state region and they said they would fish it but in the end, only a handful actually fished all events.

Here are some reasons that HE DID NOT SAY but are repeated words from most midwest walleye circuit directors...........I am not trying to ruffle any feathers. Do not shoot the messenger because I am an Eastern guy myself.

1) Walleye and musky fishing is a way of life in the midwest. There have been way too many attempted circuits out there and they just do not attract enough anglers.

2) Most Eastern guys "say" they will fish a full circuit but too many of them do not commit or pull out at the last minute because their pre-fishing was poor.

3) Eastern guys complain too much about entry fees instead of focusing on the task at hand.

4) Eastern guys are fair weather fisherman.

5) Sponsorship dollars are very tough to come by so to make a circuit work, there has to be great exposure.....the East does not provide that YET.

6) Without the numbers of Midwest fisherman traveling to the East to fish a "cross-over" tournament, ALL Eastern circuits die a quick death.

7) Why should we (Midwest guys) drive 1200 miles to fish for 15 inch fish on shoddy water?? We have all we need right here.

I could go on but you get the picture. In my opinion, there is some truth to SOME of those statements. So, if the walleye circuits cannot flourish here in the East, just think how tough it would be trying to do a musky circuit.

I think the trick would be to only have 3 tournaments in 3 different states and then a championship. Maybe NY, PA, OH or (PA, NJ and NY) and keep it regionalized while still having populated metro areas within 200-300 miles away.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 03-02-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Red, I think thats an awsome idea, 3 tourneys and a championship! Maybe it'll grow each year!

Brian

Here is my suggestion, I would LOVE to see a tournement amongst the members of this board. We could run it like they do the match fishing on M1. 2 teams agree on a date in advance, photo evidence with an item that is designated by the organizer, teams do not need to fish the same waters. We could even do a few tourneys inbetween members here were everyone gets out on the water, reports back with measurements and photos and we do that a few times throughout the summer. It does not have to be for prizes but just for fun. Let's face it, if you fish for musky you are competitive by nature your in competition with yourself as much as you are with the fish. If you were not competitve, you would fish for bluegills (not that there is anything wrong with that). I figure why not have some bragging rights in a structured enviroment. It's free and fun. Hell, even Red can get in on it, you know to see if he can walk the walk ;-).

You can count me in on both. I have 2 addictions. Musky fishing and gambling. Tournaments fit me perfect. Hell we can even have a poker night one night to raise some $$ for the river muskies!! I am up for anything.

For the sake of passing the time on a single digit morning.........

The PA tournament could be for pure strain muskies on a lake like Arthur while a Maryland tournament could be for Tigers. Then travel to Pymie for pures and wrap up the "mini-trail" on Chautauqua for the fall bite and call it the Championship. If you fish 2 of the 3 regular season tournaments, you automatically qualify for the Championships.

The smaller format of just guys on this board is a cool idea too. Each contestant must include that morning's newspaper beside the fish with the date easily read. That format could run over a several month period since it would allow guys to fish on their home waters.....no entry fee, just a one time "pot fee" of 50.00 or so. It could start when the old season kicked off in May and run for as long as you would see necessary.

It could be for the biggest fish or numbers of fish. The digital photos (with newspaper included) could then be downloaded/burned to disk for all to see and keep the "rule bending" down to a minimum.

As for me walking the walk, I could just as easily finish in last place or win the thing. If doing a big fish tournament, anyone could come out on top.

If we kept it for PA waters only, that would make it a little more fair. Whoever heads to St. Clair, LOTW or some other great musky water would have an advantage.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 03-03-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Although I've never fished in a musky tournament before, I would be interested in doing something in the smaller format or the matchfishing type. I am curious though why we would like other tournaments if the Three Rivers Club has tournaments at some of the mentioned places. I think the matchfishing is a pretty cool idea since it doesn't have the restraints of fishing a set place.

Would all participants get equal amounts of time in each "zone"?? Similar to the fly-fishing match-play competitions??
    Last edited by Red Childress; 03-03-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Another point I forgot to mention pertains to the 2004 World Championships on Chautauqua Lake.......the tournament went very well and tons of fish caught. The record for most muskies caught in a PMTT tournament was set that weekend. Hopefully, the PMTT will visit the East again sometime.

BUT

Despite being a VERY well-run tournament and great facilities, most vendors suffered tremendously due to lack of foot traffic. My partner and I were helping out with the Happy Hooker booth and could not believe the World Championships Musky tournament was going on because the Jamestown Ice Arena did not have the crowd you would expect for an even like that.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Here is the press release:

2004 RANGER BOATS INVITATIONAL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Hosted by:www.tourchautauqua.com

Sponsored by Ranger Boats

SELDERS/MONEY ADD A PMTT RECORD 7th FISH TO TAKE HOME THE WORLD CHAMPION HONORS!

2004 RANGER BOATS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP “ON FIRE”
    Lake Chautauqua, New York
    Sat. & Sun. October 16th & 17th, 2004

By: Bob "the Fin-Addict" Osborne

Wow … amazing … or unbelievable, they all fall well short of aptly describing the manner in which the very best-of-the-best in the professional Musky angling world made their assault on the venerable and history-rich waters of western New York’s Chautauqua Lake this past weekend. Nearly 500 anglers from across the U.S. and Canada had competed in a series of four qualifiers, held this year in KY, IL, WI, MN vying for the coveted “PMTT Top Gun” crown and one of only 50 invitations awarded for a shot at claiming the prestigious Ranger/PMTT Championship Title. As incredible as it may sound to knowledgeable Musky anglers, this field of 50 teams fought winds in excess of 35mph at times, sharply dropping temperatures, pouring rain, slush, 3-to-4 foot waves … and more … registering a record 46 Musky !!! Almost a one-to-one ratio and certainly the single most exciting Top Gun and Championship race to date in the Professional Musky Tournament Trail’s history.

Unleashing an all-time record setting attack, the prior record standing at four fish, Ohio angler Kevin Selders of Fresno and partner Mike Money from nearby Cambridge used a unique open-water trolling pattern that consisted of speed, big baits and open water to register an amazing total of 7 fish, six on day one … with five of them coming before noon and another on Sunday, setting records for points and numbers in a single event on the way to earning themselves the “2004 Ranger Boats World Championship” title and 1st Place prize package that included a New Ranger 195 Musky with matching Rangertrail trailer, powered by a 150 Mercury and cash … totaling nearly $35,000.00 !!! “I have been fishing this lake for about eight years and have been refining this pattern for awhile”, said Selders adding, “Running Tuff Shads in natural colors (a large bodied crank bait) at speeds that cover a lot of water looking for biters is a big part of it.”

Andover MN resident Rick Rosar & Jeff Chastek from Corcoran MN took 2nd Place, Sunday’s Big Fish Award of $1,000 with a fat 43-inch release and were also the events Ranger Cup winners adding yet another $500 … totaling $7,740 when they registered a previously unheard of 5 fish total! “We cast Leo Lures in natural bait colors over about 7-½ feet or so of water, into or parallel to the weed edge. If you were not shaking the weeds off your bait every couple of casts … you were not in the fish”, shared Jeff. Not to be outdone for lack of effort and in testimony to what an incredible fishery this relatively overlooked gem has been for more than a century, Stu Wiegner of Crystal Lake IL. & Jeff Gembala from Mt. Prospect … incredibly … had a 5 fish total as well, claiming 3rd Place and $3,120 also fishing the weed edges. Wiegner told those gathered at the Jamestown Ice Arena for the Ranger Boats / PMTT’s virtual weigh-in and the first ever Western New York Musky Expo being held in conjunction, “We fished Manta jerk baits in fire-tiger to register these beautiful fish and think that the weather actually ‘turned them (the fish) on’ because we were not seeing anything while pre-fishing before that that big blow rolled in Saturday”.

Tying the old record, registering four fish casting a combination of bucktails and crankbaits over the weed edges in 7 to 8 feet of water, the first of two husband and wife duos to make the top 5, Deb & Mike Pecosky of Oregon, WI (near Madison) took home $2,340 and 4th Place. “It was a real team effort,” said Deb, “We each caught two.” Husband Mike added, “We located a huge school of bait near the weed edges in the south end of this amazing system and fished it, finding it to be 8 to 9-inch perch. We cast baits we thought resembled that food base and were on fish throughout the event … as long as we were near the bait fish”. While Gary & Linda Jacobs of Lomira, WI (near Eagle River) caught and released a three fish total to claim 5th Place and a check for $1,560. President of MI Headwaters Chapter, Gary noted, “There are parts of this lake that reminded almost everybody here of their home water. It has similar structure, weeds, bars, humps and a variety of water color that had many folks feeling at home … not to mention the amazing hospitality and “Big League” feel surrounding us off the water”.

Stacey Medin of St. James, MN celebrated his birthday by catching & releasing Saturday’s $1,000 “Ranger Big Fish Award” winner, his first Musky over the magic 50-inch mark, a whopping 50-½ inch specimen that partner and expert “net man” Matt Thompson said, “Was about as good a present as I have ever seen”. Stacey said that he was literally “grinding” a Believer crank bait through the heavier weeds on the lakes north end to trigger his best fish ever.

The 2004 Top Gun race was a record setting effort as well when Jason Summers & Tony Demars of Lino Lakes and Wyoming, MN. became the first ever to repeat, back-to-back titles as the most consistent anglers on the professional scene by catching another fish on Saturday, breaking a dead even tie with central Illinois’ anglers Kevin Nash & Mike Savitski to take Top Gun honors, the right to display #1 in 2005 PMTT competition and a check for $4,680! “Consistent versatility was the key this year. In past years Tony and I would camp on a spot we felt was good and enjoyed some success doing that, but now being able to more quickly move between an A & B plan, well it has made us much more consistent”, said Jason. Nash & Savitski settled for #2 and $1,560 while 3rd Place went Scott Salchi & Tony Smith of Stanton & Clay City, KY. on a record setting pace themselves, having caught fish in every event this year.

Jim Saric, PMTT Director of Operations, noted seminar speaker, author and world-renowned Musky expert noted how exciting it could become when the best anglers, world class water and a hot bite come together. “This hour glass shaped lake, offering three distinctly different sections, the north basin, narrows and southern flats, had aspects similar to many of the country’s best systems, has thousands of quality fish willing to bite and several different, yet equally effective, patterns working at the same time as we approach the Fall peak period”. Craig Robbins, representing the Chautauqua County Visitors Bureau and the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce, thanked all for attending this gala event that he hopes marks the beginning of a string of visits by the Pro Trail here noting that news of this incredible action will certainly be putting them back on the radar, asking a cheering crowd, “What do you think of western New York Musky fishing now!”

Widlacki closed Sunday afternoon noting what an outstanding job all involved in hosting this event had done. “Besides getting the fish to co-operate”, he jibbed jokingly “These folks have easily put on one of the best all-round programs seen to date and we hope to be back very soon”. Tim added that it is only with the support and participation of our host and corporate sponsors that we are able to present such a high quality product. “We have been able to return almost $6,000 this year alone to state DNR’s, Muskies Inc. International and other groups whose focus is on conservation, education and research regarding this amazing fish. We have been able to take competitive Musky Fishing to a much higher level by pro-actively incorporating “fish friendly” catch-judging-release procedures and look forward to the increased participation in this process by ALL of us who champion this ‘Monarch of Freshwater’ as we move forward … together.”

Those desiring more information about and/or becoming a member of the most competitive, exciting and fastest growing professional freshwater tournament circuit in North America are encouraged to contact PMTT Tournament Director, Tim Widlacki @ phone # 1-815-264-3228; via e-mail @ info@promusky.com or by visiting them on the web at Will you be 2005 Ranger World Champion or Top Gun? Join us and see for yourself what all of the excitement is about …. you won‘t be sorry.

The Top 5

World Champions
    Kevin Selders & Mike Money
    34.25, 35, 36, 37, 37.5, 37.75 & 47.5 NEW PMTT RECORD!

2nd. Place
    Rick Rosar & Jeff Chastek
    39.75, 41, 41, 41.5, 43

3rd. Place
    Stu Weigner & Jeff Gembala
    35.75, 38, 39, 39.5, 42.5

4th. Place
    Mike & Deb Pecosky
    35, 38, 39, 40

5th. Place
    Gary & Linda Jacobs
    37, 41, 41.25
    Last edited by Red Childress; 03-03-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Talking

Red,
    Just razzing you about the "walk the walk" if there is one thing that this fish can do is humble even the best..... we won't hold it against you if you finish last!!

BTW how's your girl doing? I presume she is out of the hospital and healing up.

Take care,

Jacob

Oh, I knew you were razzing me......I know better than to think I am a supreme musky fisherman......still learning everyday. My daughter is fine. Thanks for asking.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

i would be interested in a tourney amongst board members. I'm new to musky fishing haven't even been out to fish for them yet. with the info i get off this board and many other sources i think I'm ready i spent almost all winter learning what i could and acquiring baits. personally i would prefer the mornings news paper beside the fish then match fishing.