www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: PA's biggest fish of 2008

Default PA's biggest fish of 2008

I just read this on the Pa fish commission website. This guy claimed to catch two 55 lb muskies in 9 days with minnows. I think I am selling all my lures and fishing with minnows from now on!! What a joke. This is probably one of those guys that catch the 1lb crappies and 15 lb walleyes daily at Pymy.

MUSKELLUNGE
    Angler Hometown Water Date Bait Weight Length
    (inches) Girth
    (inches)
    Gary J. Cascio Greenville Pymatuning Lake 5/14 Minnow 55 lb.* 51 -
    Gary J. Cascio Greenville Pymatuning 5/5 Minnow 55 lb.* 50 -
    Stephen Ross Altoona Canoe Creek State Park 4/12 Trout 44 lb. 4 oz. 50.50 25
    Charles Lauria Jr Guys Mills Lake Lebouf 8/16 Creepy Crawl 42 lb. 50 22.75
    Larry Koprivnak Edinburg Pymatuning Lake 4/27 Yellow Twist 41 lb. 7 oz. 51 26.50
    * Catches were not verified and fish were not submitted for consideration as a PA state record. The current state record muskellunge is 54 lb. 3 oz.

Am I correct in assuming that the 51 and 50 following the 55 pounders means they were 51 and 50 inches??

If so, that is down right funny!!

Tony

It just shows you there is obviously no verification process for the PA F&BC to review these claims....so they just publish them then..hahaha I'm sure that guy will be the talk of Greenville now.

You guys know as well as I do that a percentage of "witnessed" trophy catches are bogus to some degree. At least some of the muskies are guesstimated and released instead of being dragged to the supermarket for "ego" verification.

I even had a client who turned in a musky (back in the mid--90's) verified by my signature that I later realized was about 3 pounds off. I thought my scale was very close to perfect but after I took it to the high school weight room and did my own "certification", I found that the heavier the weight.......the more the actual weight varied on that particular scale.

Personally, I do not even fool with it anymore. The scrutiny would not be worth the hassle even if they were on certified scales and a Priest did the measurement, IMO.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 02-27-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

muskie52, Yes they are the length of the fish. He might as well said 60 and 61!!

55lb that would be a new Pa record! If he said it was55 he had to know what the record was? THe bottom line is that you will have to with out a doubt kill the fish to claim that kind of title. I am sure there would be ways around it to keep the fish alive but who is prepared to transport a fish like that? I know I am not . I have had several guy come up to me at seminars and claim these claims of 60 inch fish ??? the best one is the dead fish found with a duck in its mouth I have heard that from one end of pa to the other? I do not know what to say to at these moments ? I do not want to be mean or laugh you know, I just agree and smile ,and then thank them.You are right about the scrutany though can we not just all get along ?? I personally have not wiegh any thing in years only if there ungodly thats is I have the scale with me. half of the time I do not even measure any more only for kids and new anglers that are shaken like a leaf with happiness,Is it not grand?

Keep Pullin Teeth! Herb

HB,
    I remember that. There was an article in the newspaper (the Pittsburgh Press I think) in the early 80's. It was about a 67" musky found on the banks of the Monongahela River with a duck stuck in it's gills. They couldn't get a weight because its stomach was partially eaten out from scavengers.

I don't believe the article, but I still tried locate it....to no avail. I was going to forward it to Larry Ramsell to see what his investigative skill could come up with.

Tony

Theres been many claims to that .but I not sure to believe them It is possible but unlikly I think . I have witnessed them making a pass at smaller ducks with no luck .I had never seen them eat one or anything but I still believe the eat duckling some guys do not .I did hear of that in the post several times but seen no article to back it up.

Did you guys notice that the fish that Gary J. Cascio put in had the little ***
    by his fish, ONLY one on the whole page with the note at the bottom of the species heading.

* Catches were not verified and fish were not submitted for consideration as a PA state record. The current state record muskellunge is 54 lb. 3 oz.

Default biggest fish of 08

They only did that after I questioned why it wasn't a state record.I was told that anglers can turn record size fish in for angler awards and still not be considered a state record.It is up to the angler to fill out the neccessary paper work/affidavits to claim a state record fish.A lot of guys don't want to go through the hassle,but if it was a LEGITIMATE state record why would'nt you follow the steps to make it a certified state record.Was also told that the angler awards are run by the honor system and will honor any fish as long as it is entered by the rules.

A signed PFBC form and a witness is all you need to catch 40, 50 and 60 pound muskies in PA..........

A dead musky in the hands of the PFBC is the only way to have verification. My understanding is that the fish will become property of the PFBC until the necessary biological tests have been made along with a possible X-Ray of the fish. When all is verified/examined, you get your fish back.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I'm going to catch a 58"er this year to report....I mean,maybe i'll catch a 58"er this year to report!!2007 had a few muskies that were concidered\known to be incorrect.Its a contest,were you can say what you want to????My biggest problem is if the PFBC looks at these and say,look at all the huge fish we have coming out of PA waters.It could effect their stocking beliefs.Bob

There is also a requirement that a photo of the fish be sent with the proper documentation.........Fish that size will surely make the PFBC web site.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress