Hi Folks.

Greetings all from the arctic northwoods. I’ve had some time on my hands so I’ve been out doing a little ice fishing – (and not in my glass). I have found mixed results in my excursions. Walleyes and northerns have been a little bit slow. The fish we have been catching have been pretty nice, though. Both species are being found around weedbeds and timber fields. I’ve been fishing mainly shallow waters anywhere from 7 to 15 feet. The walleye activity is mainly in the late-afternoon, early-evening hours. The best pike bite has been late morning. For northerns, medium to large golden shiners have been the best bait – and for walleyes I’ve had my best luck on sucker minnows.

Perch have probably been one of the best fish for action. These fish have moved into the weeds and have been fairly aggressive. Small jigs tipped with a crappie minnow, spike or a very small piece of pork rind has been working the best.

Crappies are starting to come more into the weedy areas and although slow right now, look for action on these fish to pick up every time we see a string of warmer days. When you get a little water standing on the ice from the snow melt, it does a good job of attracting these fish.

Gamefish season will be ending shortly, but it sounds like a pretty nice weekend coming our way and it should be a good time to get out on the ice.

That’s it for now. Jeff Winters