www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tackle review request - double-13 and double-14 baits

Default Tackle review request - double-13 and double-14 baits

How did the really big double blade baits work last year, like the Supermodel DC? I didn't catch anything, but didn't spend much time using them. I was surprised that they didn't pull as hard as I expected - not much harder than a double-10 really

Summer - Mille Lacs; Winter - Clearwater, MN

To be honest, the magnum blades were a bit of a disappointment in my boat. I threw the big blades from the back of the boat while I had clients throwing the confidence baits (the Spanky Baits 11" Fireball, a double-10) from the front. The double-10 waaaaaay out-produced the double-13 and double-14 baits.

I ran the Supermodel DC by Musky Mayhem and the Double 13 by Figure-8. They each have pros and cons. The Supermodel uses Flashabou, which I strongly prefer over silicone or marabou. But, the cut of Flashabou isn't the best - thick and kind of cheap-looking, not as lively as the thinner stuff. The thing I really, really don't like about the Supermodel is the thin blades (#14)which bend very, very easily. I got very little use out of each Supermodel before the blades were bent and didn't run right which was very irritating. The Double 13 by Figure-8 uses #13 which are pretty heavt duty and strong, which I really liked. Good blades. The plastic grub tail is also very nice - it added a good, appealing action to the bait. The one criticism I have of this bait is the silicone skirt. The skirt material is kind of a cheap as silicone skirts go - not as good as the Star Flash skirt matial used on Sili-Girls. The skirt is easily improved by adding a couple ties of better material, or replacing it with Flashabou.

I thought the super jumbo blades would absolutely kick ass on Mille Lacs, but they didn't. Maybe too much of a good thing isn't better than the reliable and proven double-10. That's not to say I've given up. I'll definitely run the magnum blades more in '09 - probably the Figure-8 Double 13 with a modified skirt.
    Enduro Guide Service
    Paul Schlagel

Web Site: http://www.enduroguideservice.com

I like the Supermodels and caught a couple on it. It was a hot bait for awhile on one of the lakes I fish (name withheld). During a certain window of time on a certain body of water, the Supermodel outproduced a regular double-10. You're right about the blades, though - they suck.