www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: When are your muskies spawning?

Default When are your muskies spawning?

I am trying to get an estimated timeline on when PA muskies are spawning. Since our water is greatly influenced by the Kinzua outlfow, our water temps are way behind most of the state. In the stretch from Kinzua to Warren, the majority ofn our fish are usually pairing up sometime in early to mid-May and most are finished by the first week in June. The water immediately South of Warren is 3-5 degrees warmer due to the influence of the Chautauqua Lake tributary (Conewango Creek) so those fish are usually 1-2 weeks earlier.

My question is this: Does anyone have any input stating that most of their muskies were actually finished spawning before the old season opener which fell on the first Saturday in May?
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red I have a picture of a fish from Pymie, 5/10/08 that dropped some eggs in the boat. Last year was really weird with the temps though, short sleeves in April and bundled up in May.
    Last edited by ThreeRiversEsox; 02-18-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Yea, the weather and snow pack melt-off really impacts things. I am just curious to see when other areas of the state are actually spawning.

Based on what I have observed, the larger muskies are more temperature tolerant and seem to spawn earlier. I have only seen 4-5 BIG females paired up in my 15 years on the river and all of them were 1-2 weeks earlier than those under 45 inches or so.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red, on the susky I have found over the years that april may months have been the ticket for spawning pattern . Big fish in coves that are thoughthe years been the same area of activity. I usally left alone these areas do to they do not need me messing with them when guy are already keying in on this .they have often caught the fish by adapting there large bass plastics to get the fish to move or investigate the disaterbance.. I have caught fish in mid to late may with the same tactic. this was primarally site fishing or luck? But I recall one time a 48 fish on a 4 inch green grub it was all I had in comparision, major over cast of the bait you know frantic light . came to ivestagate it like picked it up not as food though it was wierd. set the hook bagged him .

In 3 years of targeting musky I only had one experience with seeing fish spawning in Sw Pa. That came on 3-31-07 and the fish were in the mid to upper 30's. Did see some other splashes along the shorline that day and the only fish that would cooporate with our baits were 20",24", and 28".

most likly they were males? were they very agressive??

The 20"er hit a shallow invader which is about half it's length. I'd say that's pretty aggressive!

Quote Originally Posted by PAmusky View Post
    Based on what I have observed, the larger muskies are more temperature tolerant and seem to spawn earlier. I have only seen 4-5 BIG females paired up in my 15 years on the river and all of them were 1-2 weeks earlier than those under 45 inches or so.
    Red-

I dont have info on the broader timing question, but it would make sense that the larger ones can/would spawn earlier. Cant remember where I read it but studies have shown that larger ones internal temps can be something like 5 degrees warmer than the water (vs smaller ones at parity to the water) because they have better internal temp regulation (presumably due to higher body mass to surface area- thus they loose internally generated heat slower). I would bet that the water temp is only a predictor of spawning time to the extent that it influences their internal temps.

what about the old..."smaller lures in spring thing"...has anyone done that for years then switched to all "larger" baits right out of the gate in spring and forget about throwing small baits at all? are you catching the same amount of fish?

generally smaller baits do to bait fish quality. I personally thrown up to 6-9inch baits . progresses as time goes on about the size. but 4 to 51/2 inch baits work good even smaller at times its a question of tackle then down sizing to adjust to the baits throwing .alot of guys will only throw what is comfortable to there equipment. example Rattle traps work good there only 4 inch max alot are 3 like from bucher tackle.Alot of guys will not throw them because it feel wierd the action and vibe the size mimmics fine or tight action.spinner baits used often in spring for the same factors just often to mimmic a small schools of bait fish.I do not gerally go over 9 inch baits, great fourum!