www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky in Trout Approved Waters

Default Musky in Trout Approved Waters

Do you guys know if I'll be able to fish for Musky in trout approved lakes before the opener for trout? I seem to recall talking with a Park Officer last Spring and she would not let me take my boat on the water before the opener even though I would have been throwing for Musky.

I haven't checked with the Fish Commission on this yet. I forgot to ask at the show yesterday. Just curious if any of you guys have dealt with this.

Jay

I heard a guy ask the fish commission that question on saturday. He said that you were able to fish for other species on approved trout creeks as long as you released any trout you caught by accident. I think this is a touchy subject and would rather fish a non stocked lake or stream. I think it is all going to depend on the responding deputy. My 2 cents!!

I think you're right about it being a touchy subject. I think I'll get in touch with the fish commission and get their official stance.

We have that scenario around here and the old PFBC officer said is that it would fall under a reasonable method of targeting a particular species.......ie...using corn and a bobber for muskies would be a tough sell.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 02-09-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Hopefully they know the trout colored lures we are using aren't actually the fish we're catching

Maybe I'll e-mail the Fish Commission and carry their response with me just in case.

yes you can fish trout waters for musky before trout opens. Check link below

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/rulemakings/200finp.pdf

Matt,

Great info, thanks. I found out that the lake that I am interested in will now be allowing fishing up to March 31st but will be closed to fishing from April 1st until the Trout Opener. I found this a bit odd, but I guess they will use that time for stocking??

Jay