www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Spring Lake

Default Spring Lake

I heard from a good source(biologist) that there is currently a foot of ice on Spring Lake. So, they are speculating that the ice won't be off until the first or second week in March. Due to the late ice-out they are planning to get the nets in to collect the hatchery fish ASAP after the ice is gone ... now here is the bad news. After they collect the fish that they need they intend to come in and put weed killer throughout the lake. He gave me a tenative date of March 15th for the weed killer.
    That does NOT sound good for the tournament scheduled for March 21st.

Thad Hinshaw
    Last edited by Jimmy; 02-06-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Thumbs up uncool news Jimmy but thanks

Jimmy,
    That sounds awful to me. I have wondered what has occurred in the past with regards to the nets at Spring Lake in relation to our tourney time. Bob Taylor will chime in, he is running the tournament at Spring Lake this year. Perhaps others like Dale Drew will also know a little something with regards to this situation as well.
    In any case, maybe we're jumping the gun a bit- it could thaw earlier. It's going to be in the fifties on Saturday! Throw in some showers and that ice is GONE!
    Whattaya think Bob? Anyone?
    Last edited by muskellunged; 02-06-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Default Spring Lake

With six weeks to go, who knows what Mother Nature (especially in Illinois in Feb. & Mar.) will have in store for us. Last year there was ice (in places) on the lake the day before the tournament. The day of the tournament, all the ice was in the air! (for those of you who were there & remember)
    We (IMTT) will be keeping an eye on the ice situation, as well as the other goings on at the lake around the time of our tournament.
    Keep checking here, and we will keep everyone updated as we get more information.

Bob Taylor

Smile

I spoke to the site superintendent at Spring Lake, and the fisheries biologist today. Neither had any issues regarding the IMTT tournament on March 21st. The biologist stated that the 25 nets would be in place when the water nears the 50* mark, and they will be in place for 5-6 days. This usually occurs around the first week of March. Again, this will be determined by the weather.
    As far as the weed spraying goes, the biologist stated the spraying for Eurasian Milfoil will be in April.
    I don't know what the weather will bring, but if the Robins in my yard are any indication of the weather, the tournament should be on as scheduled.
    Stay tuned,
    Bob T

Default Spring Lake IMTT CONTACT INFO

All entries should be sent to: Bob Kerans, 3045 S. Franklin St. Rd., Decatur, Illinois 62521 Phone 217-423-0932 email: robert_kerans_559@comcast.net

Default Spring Lake Tourney - Update

I'm posting this for Bob Kerans. - Jay

Per Bob's email,

Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail Spring Lake Tournament - March 21st - send all entry information and contact information to Bob Kerans, 3045 S. Franklin St. Rd., Decatur,Illinois 62521 Ph: 217-423-0932 email: robert_kerans_559@comcast.net. Also those who have already entered please let Bob know.