www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fluorocarbon Leaders...

Default Fluorocarbon Leaders...

Well been doing a little research on these. There kinda pricey but hey what isn't pricey in the musky world. From what I have read seems stealth #100 are the way to go. Anybody use fluorcarbon leaders? If so what's your take/experience with them.

Hey Chris

I've been using Fluorocarbon Leaders for quite a while now, I make my own leaders and use 130LB test. I had never lost a fish due to a bad leader, and I landed much more fish than when I was using steal leaders.

They are pricey but they are worth every penny. I use SeaGuar brand (heard that is one of the best a lot of musky fisherman use it) and I found a bargain on eBay a spool of 50 Yards for $29,99 It will last me for a long time.

I’m sure you already know about Stealth Leader great product. Give it a shot.

Fluorocarbon AAA+++
    We Who Are Truly Brave Will Never Live In Fear...

Thumbs up

I would echo the sentiments on the Stealth product. Super high quality leader with excellent components.

Pricey but worth every penny if you are too lazy to make your own like me!!
    Been using fluoro leaders for about 4 years now and have not had a failure on a fish yet. I used to use 80 pounders but i wouldnt go lighter than 130 pounds now as they seem to hold up better for sure and give you that extra err of confidence.
    Probably the most important thing is when they get abraded at all by the chompers of an angry muskellunge is just to change it if ever in doubt.

There's a guy on ebay who sells leaders that I really like. He'll make whatever leaders you want-from 6O pound up to 3OO pound. I just had him make me several in 13O pound and I got some 36" trolling leaders made. All of his leaders are tied and crimped. I use them with confidence and he they are pretty reasonable-$3 something for 12" 13O pound, $5 for 36" trolling leaders. All made with good swivels and your choice of stayloc, cross loc, or fastach snaps. I can give you his email address if you like.

Thumbs up Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the 411! Gunna make the switch but think i'll find a more economical way to do so. The stealth leaders are two for $15 and thats a lil pricey for two leaders. Especially when fishing kinkaid around all the strucutre and I managed to get hung up at least once every two weeks, lol. So mommuskies if you would shoot that email adress my way and I'll pick some up! Think I'm going to go with around 130# 12''. Gunna pick up one pack of the stealth as well and see if theres any difference. Thanks guys!

I have been fishing stealth leaders for over 2 years and love them. I have never had one break or malfunction on me. John is a great guy and sure to take care of you. I especially like the 3' trolling leaders he has on the market.

The email addy is: charlier@ticon.net

thanks for the props on the leaders guys, we do custom sizes and lengths if anyone is interested as well. as far as the price goes, i dont think 15.00 for a 2 pack of leaders is over priced. that comes out to 7.50 per leader for a high quality hand made leader is not overpriced by any means. there are other brands out there that cost alot more that use much cheaper material and components as much as 8-10 dollars per leader. stealth tackle is a legit business that operates within the laws. i pay taxes, insurance and account fees etc etc all part of being legit. i understand you can buy stuff on ebay cheaper which is fine but i think buyer beware has to come into play at some point and i am pretty sure most of those guys are sliding under the tax radar. to me it is not worth the risk. if anyone has any questions or concerns on my leaders feel free to drop me an email or give me a shout!
    thanks again
    john bette
    STEALTH TACKLE
    "Clearly the Leader"
    www.stealthtackle.net

John at Stealth Tackle makes awesome flourocarbon leaders! I use them for casting and trolling, and have had zero problems. I recommend the #130 pound test. They are worth it!!
    Chad Cain Guide Service
    Chad Cain

Web Site: http://www.chadcain.com

Just to echo what everyone is already saying, you can't beat the Stealth Leaders. Fluoro leaders may be a bit more expensive than wire leaders initially. But I've found that they're actually cheaper in the long run. Before I switched to Stealth I was making my own wire leaders and would go through at least 20 to 30 leaders a year. Wire gets kinked up easily, especially if you get into a bunch of pike. Since I've switched to Stealth, I only go through a couple leaders a year. Not only do I like how the Stealth fluoro leaders perform better, but they've saved me money, not to mention time when it comes to putting on a new leader all the time like I was with wire.

Aaron

P.S. $12.79 for a 2 pack of Stealth #130 at Musky Tackle Online, not $15.
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com