www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 2009 Muskie Outings???

Default 2009 Muskie Outings???

Since the winter-net season is here and the water is stiff......

Anyone have any big trips planned this year in search of a monster?

We went up on the St. Larry last Nov. and really liked that even though we got skunked. Planning on doing that again this year. Also might run down to Cave run in the spring.

I won an extra weeks vacation on a safety program at work so got some extra fishing time this year!!!! I'm pumped about that!

Anyone else have big trips planned, going with guides or on your own?

My wife and I are heading to LOTW for 16 days on July 31st and then we are going to Georgian Bay for 8 days the first week of October. So I'm basically wishing the next 6 months of my life away. Those are the two big trips but I'll do a ton of fishing locally also.

Reed

Cool

I am hoping to get out to Conneaut this summer. I live about 50 miles outside Philly so it will be a long drive, but I beleive it will be worth it. Has anyone been there? Can anyone offer any insight? Probably be there in August. Not the best time to fish muskie because of the water temps I know. Will probably just motor around the lake, camp and enjoy the outdoors. I don't do much fishing for muskie in the really warm water.

If your talking conneaut lake, look me up before you head up this way, I don't know conneaut well at all but I do know some of the other local waters pretty well and would be happy to throw a little varity into your trip.

Take care,

Jacob

My partner and I will probably drag my jet to WV and fish the C and R section of the Buckannon River with the possibility of doing Green Bay since he has fished it many times for walleye.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

No big Musky trips planned for me this year. I hope to stay relatively close to home and see what I can start to figure out.

I might make a trip to the Florida Keys for some Tarpon on the Flyrod, but thats a long shot at this point. Not sure I want to cut into the Musky time. LOL

Still planning my fall trip. I'm like a kid in a candy store: so many great choices but yet I'm forced to choose. Georgian just went way up on my list after that MH article this month but I have family with a getaway place up in Eagle River Wi, so I'm not sure.

also thinking about a long weekend this spring to Cave run or down to the res by you guys if its going to be a short 'long weekend'. Will just have to see how the workload shapes up-most likely to be last minute.

i also fear that balancing family wants/needs for our summer vacation may mean a non-muskie lake...hope not.

Thumbs up Susky

My partner Joel and I are already talking about are annual Sussquehanna trip this summer! We are very fortunate to have a local muskie pro, Herb Bloxsom to take us out and put us on some nice Susky River Muskies! Joel and I both love to fish rivers and this place is a small slice of "Muskie Heaven"

Brian

Brian, if this is just a small slice, West Virginia must be musky heaven since they have like 25 musky rivers! This year I'm gonna float at least 4 different rivers/creeks, learn some new water, catch a fish over 40 inches on my flyrod, and run the baits I made all winter until I get some good fish pics with them. At least that's my plan... Next winter I'm trying to get things up and going with making some baits, flies, and some other odds and ends to sell...and if I get half of it done, it'll be a good year!
    Last edited by ThreeRiversEsox; 02-04-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonangler View Post
    I am hoping to get out to Conneaut this summer. I live about 50 miles outside Philly so it will be a long drive, but I beleive it will be worth it. Has anyone been there? Can anyone offer any insight? Probably be there in August. Not the best time to fish muskie because of the water temps I know. Will probably just motor around the lake, camp and enjoy the outdoors. I don't do much fishing for muskie in the really warm water.
    If you are looking to fish musky there are much better choices in this area than Conneautt Lake. Try Pymy, Woodcock, or even Presque Isle. Conneautt used to be my favorite musky lake until 5 or 6 years ago. I dont know what happened but the musky fishing has really gone downhill to the point I will give up fishing it. Stay off the water from 9am to 5pm. June thru Sept this 900 acres has 9,000 jetskiers, waterskiers, powerboaters, and drunks on the water. A 180 unit condo complex with boat slips is currently being built and it will only make the pressure worse.

Talking about a possible trip to Pigeon lake. I would probably be content with taking a few 3-4 day trips fishing in Pa and Wv. I want to try the Susky this year.

Red, If you guys plan on making the trip to the Buckhannon let me know. I can tell you some other rivers to fish down there and I'll keep exploring that area. Those rivers have so much wood in them and the muskies love it!

Oh man, you guys are making me reconsider my plans. I hope to stay local and learn the waters near me, but now after seeing some of the responses, I am already thinking of a couple of trips to NE PA and maybe a trip to Cave Run!!!! Oh yeah, and maybe a trip or two to the Susky near Williamsport, and the rivers in WV sound good too... LOL Is it Spring yet?!?!!?