www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icebreaker like old times?

Default Icebreaker like old times?

I know it is early in the season, but the board has been pretty slow for a long while, so I don't know if there would be enough interest, but I'm getting bored sitting at home, and I was wondering anyone would like to revise the icebreaker this spring again, like old times, ya know, on Barbee chain, with lunch and a lot of goof offs on the water.

I don't know if this new board format has kept everyone off of it or not, but I sure miss the old days and the thought of another icebreaker with the old gang and new guys too, would sure give me something to look forward to. Anyone down wid dat?

I'm all for it.

It's never too soon to talk about stuff like this. Nowadays, with me being the family man now and having kids in the picture...planning a ways in advance is really about the only way I can accomplish things. It's all about planning and communication with the better half to have a "plan" in the works that works for her and I and for the kids so that there are no surprises.

With the decent amounts of ice up at the lakes right now and with the Classic in May...it'll be interesting to see when we see open water again up there. Obviously..it won't take until May to melt off..but...we won't see open water up there for some time yet. It'll easily be mid-March (or later?) unless we get some massive heat waves that come rolling through. Which...being this is Indiana...certainly could happen.

I was up on Winona and Wawasee just two weeks ago, ice fishing and the thinnest ice I found was 10 inches thick and some of the thickest I found to drill through was 12 inches thick. So...if that gives you and idea.

But yeah...let's see if we can gather some interest and get the crew back together. I'll see if I can get my usual boat crew together, like old times. We're all married with kids now...so...again...back to the whole planning in advance thing would help wonders for all of us, if at all possible.

Oh...and...I do still check in here on this board, from time to time.

Fiquer out a date and lets shoot for something. I know last year I went to Brookville and tried it out. It was March 17th. not alot of boats out then. Of course it was 30 out and snowing.

Im game. you also have webster's Ice out as well towards the end of march.

Toad,

Greg Dini is up for an Icebreaker this Spring again as well.

He's having troubles logging into this site right now...for...whatever reason.

I'm just passing on the good word.

Werd.

hey guys amke sure you count me in.. i miss the older days of the icebreaker.. 35 plus winds and rain and cold as heck....bill

Goody Goody....something besides snow to think about now. Plus the fact that I'm gonna do some ass whopin this year no doubt, lol. I think late march wood probably work or even the beginning of April. I know we had some early april days that were nice, and some that were cold, but probably better to shoot for April with things being what they are in the land of ice and mud. Let's just hope there are no bass tournaments on the water this year, lol. That was a ridiculous icebreaker, and waaaaay too cold for it to be april. Indyana, how we love/hate you sometimes. Cool beans, let's see how many muskie boys we can get interested. I know halfpint will be down for the count for sure.

Webster's Ice out is the 28th of march with a Ice date of april 4th.The Hoosier club needs to be there....LOL

I know Im ready.......With the knee surgery in the end of October, cut my season short.

I know it's way too soon to get excited, just yet, but....there's some warm temps rushing in our way this weekend that is going to bring a thaw to the ice pack and will bring rain with it this weekend and a good part of next week. Who knows what will happen 10 days out from now...but...Spring is going to make an attempt to show up this weekend.

LOTS of ice to melt up north. It's not going anywhere fast, any time soon.

Hey...at least it's a promising sign...heading in the right direction...

I'm interested, Since the club isn't having a early outing it'll give me an excuse for the wife.

I'd be interested if some one has rom for a non-boater. Sold the boat and havn't got a new one yet.

Im in as how does the weekend after Easter sound since no one has thrown a date out. That I think is the weekend of April 18th....

I'm all in! I was actually thinking about posting this too. We need to have a good old fashioned Icebreaker! The last 3 years we've had open water on March 21st or 22nd. I'd put a vote in vote in for March 28th, but no later than April 4th (sorry PGA It IS an Icebreaker, let's go as early as we can but you all pick a date, I'll be there & I'm sure Shawn will too.... WOOHOO!!

I can make that work also

So far...I'm thinking either dates would work. I'll be really curious as to when the lakes open up though, first and foremost.

There's going to be some warm weather and rain moving in this weekend and next week...but...it's only the beginning of Feb. And knowing how our seasons seem to have shifted....we're still prone to receiving another cold snap and winter-like temps and weather...so....who knows.

Time will tell. We'll just have to try and do the best we can to pick a date and hope it works....and/or....be able to jump when the opportunity presents itself...

I'm out on the 21st unfortunately, so if there is another time that would be better for me, but I don't want to throw the game off for everyone else. I was thinking first weekend in april would be good, but like I said, someone always can't make it, so don't pick it based on me alone.

Last week we had 14 inch's of ice on Bruce so I wonder what Webster and Barbee have. Talking to a guy this is the most he has seen in 10 years....So much for global warming.....So I am not sure how long before these lakes open up...This week will help but this will take a while. Off to Costa Rica for a week on Sunday so set a date and we can make it work. I love the Barbee Idea and if they do have a Bass Event we could always do Tippy since they have that Food place now...

I know everyone's anxious to throw a date out there. But...right now...trying to throw a date out there that will:

1) Work for everyone (which is next to impossible)
    and
    2) be a date that will have softwater, but not tying in to close to other scheduled/planned outings/tourneys, is going to be tough.

Right now, this far out...it's going to be like throwing a dart at a dart board blindfolded.

There's easily 14 inches of ice on those Barbee and Webster waters, much the same as Bruce.

Yes...this weekend and next week's temps and rain will help some...but..there's a lot of snow pack on top of that ice and that snow will have to melt first before the ice starts to diminish.

As of right now...from what I learned last night...the 21st of March doesn't work for me either.

Again..this will have to be a date that will just have to be set and whoever can make it...great. Those that can't. Bummer.

I still think we should wait a while longer before bothering to throw out a date though. That's just my $.02 cents. I think we need to see what this month of Feb is going to offer up in the way of weather. Maybe wait till the end of this month to throw out dates.

Too much is unknown right now. This is one event that is determined nearly 100% by weather and ice conditions/open water conditions.

We've got time to relax on this yet...
    Last edited by MACK; 02-06-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Default Sounds like fun!!

I

It sure has been a long time since we all got together..I think the last one was the night outing. Count me in..

R
    Last edited by longknife; 02-06-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: upload pic

I agree, we need to see what February does before we can set a date for sure, I was just trying to guess something close. Sounds like the first week of April would fit most schedules, but let's see what the ice does first. I'll be on it till the end so I'll be keeping an eye on things.... I'll be there regardless of what date we pick, unless there's a bowling tournament

Yeah, I'm all for waiting too, it's hard to tell what is going to happen with the weather and what not. Hopefully a day that works for most everyone will be available. As far as other tourneys events go, I'm not worried about those. Seems like so many tournaments go on anymore that you can't miss hitting one at any time of the year, so if we have to share, then we can share, or we can move to another body of water. Most of us are flexible I think. Someone can give Rawfish a spot I hope, too.

Look at the randmeister, Mr. record setting fish catcher! He's all ready to go now that he's got major muskie game! I however, am certain I will remain fishless on this icebreaker, much like all my other icebreakers, but that's okay, I'd rather observe the goings on amongst you numbnuts than catch a fish, at least, that's my quote for the record. I just don't want to have anybody bring their dogs and then run around crying because they ran away and are never coming back this year, lol.

But of course, Ronski will still be the greatest, I'd imagine.

I sure hope so Toad!! I'd sure hate to let everyone down And Toad, I'll have something special that you'll get a kick out of!!

You can fish.......no wait,......Mawakk, yooousss cen feeesh. NO waaaaitt a minutte.....Toads...yer an a(*&(&hole.......

(Repeat 20 times then slobber. Then repeat)

LOL!

Doesn't someone have a video clip of that? Wasn't that put up on YouTube or somethin' like that?

No, no video. All evidence was destroyed. I have no copies left..........
    John

Thumbs down

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

At least there's still lots of good photos that tell the story well...

Not ALL the evidence. Once it's on the web, it's there for good....
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ck&search_type

That is awesome footage...only wish it was more extended than that. Practically a new language was formed that night. I still don't know what he was saying!

Sweet, I can't wait.

What are you bringing that's special Ronski? Really, you don't have to do that, just bring yourself, because YOU are special....let me rephrase that. You are "SPECIAL". But, you can fish, so I'll give you that. It's like those kids that can play beethoven on the piano, but still mess their shorts, kind of special.

I've got some lures ready to throw, can't wait to get out. Lotsa pounders. LOTSA pounders. My new goto bait. Can't wait to put the hammer down on them this year. I'll either throw that or my mini ss shad. I'll get em coming and going. More likely going, but I'll hope for better this year.

Hey John, are you gonna go for the early season topwater monkey's this year again? I'll bring my lure retreiver if you are.
    Last edited by Toad; 02-11-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Oops, I guess I didn't delete it.

Hey, lay off the monkeys, they put up a good fight!!
    John

There is still ice on the lakes as of last night around 6pm. Not sure what the rain/wind (60mph gusts) did last night. There was about a 75 yard stretch on the other side of the tube that was open...but the ramp was locked up. I know this weather put a hurt on the lakes! The ice will get thinner even with the 30 degree temps. The reason it got so thick was because of the extreme cold temps. Remember...the water right underneath the ice is 33-35 degrees.

I am praying for another warm up. I think if we had 4 more days of this...they would open up.
    Vince Weirick

Thanks for the update Vince. I'll be sniffing around down that way this weekend so I'll post what I find too. I'm praying for more rain, it's just not working!
    Toad, it's nothing "special". Well, not as "special" as I am! Just something you'll get a kick out of!!
    Let's all hope it's not another year like this...

And more like this...

Im back and thank you all for making me remember one of my finest momemts....Hey Toad did you get any of my Text messages? I do not care where or when we fish I do know that "SOME" of you just made the list....
    Last edited by pgaschulz; 02-17-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

And what "list" would I be on now PGA??

I got your messages PGA...I think they were a lot later than when you sent them, but I got them. Thanks for the info buddy. Also, I hope you did some fishing down there!

And I had nothing to do with anything that you may or may not be referring to. For the record, I was in church that evening far away from those events, and as it just so happens, I was actually praying for the souls of you poor lost muskie men. And the big G spoke to me too, he said "Save it. I already gave you your big fish last year, and I'm not doing any more requests." So, looks like you guys are on your own.

Okay...this thread went quiet there for a while waiting for winter to run it's course.

Might be time to get this one moving again now that it's March and it's looking like we're a week to maybe 10 days from open water. Lots of warm weather and rain coming soon.

How's that Saturday, March 28th look for the Icebreaker event on the Barbee Chain?????

I know Ronski said no later than April 4th, but talking with Mike, he said that he wouldn't really be able to make it unless it was the second weekend in April....It would be nice to have the iceman at the icebreaker....but, Mike made sure to say that he doesn't want to influence the day, if it works out, fine, if not, there is always someone who can't make it. I'm good for just about any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast