www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Limit Catch Ice Fishing

1. Default Limit Catch Ice Fishing

It is hard to believe so I'm working on getting the guys to send me a photo for the website asap, but yesterday the 8 guys we had out caught a limit of 80 whitefish!! They said it was non-stop and that they each put a number of smaller fish back as well. We had over 47 pound of fillets!!! The guys had spent the past few years fishing other popular fishing destinations, but they are now hooked on Door County.... They said it was "a riot....non-stop action" and a "great time". Andy said they found a different presentation and he used more of a short jig with some pause on the bottom. Once they keyed in on the bite it was "lock-n-load". With the weather still cold they stayed in the heated shanties and just kept tossing fish out the door.... We should be able to target some perch with tip-ups with warmer weather forecast this weekend.... Stay tuned for photos of this catch and updated reports....
    Capt Scott Gutschow
    Last edited by Captain Scott Gutschow; 01-30-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Web Site: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/index.shtml

2. Default Photos Available

I just posted a couple of photos of the catch today... 60 fish today... Not as good as the 1st day, but we still managed to get a 6 person limit.... take Look at these photos... bigger picture at: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/photo-log.shtml
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whitefishmail.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	3775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white2mail.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	3776  
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Default whitefish depth?

Andy or Scott, without telling me where you fished could you elude a little more as to the depth you fished and I am assuming it was a rock bottom? I read on various post people are getting them in 9 fow off bayshore park area, as well as, 35 fow off hendersons point??? Curious as to is any one place better than another? You would be the guys to ask which is better given the masses of fish you guys nailed =)

4. Default Whitefish

Yes, you are correct. having some rock around helps catch whitefiish. One of the guys in our group has done very well off Bayshore in shallow water... Another report I have off Hendrsons and Rileys is that limits have been the rule too in deeper water. We were fishing about 38 feet... Our catch is not isolated to a specific location, in fact being away from the croud would help. I think a lot has to do with the technique..... These fish are being caught from south of Dykesvile all the way up the shoreline, and on both sides of the bay... I am often out-fished by the guys in the group that concentrate harder.... I spend time tending to tip-ups and watching what other are doing instead of focusing on the jig-stick. The bite can be suddle and it takes awhile to get the hang of it... Even when you get the feel for it you need to remain focused... They are a ton of fun and they have been running pretty big lately...
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Scott, great catch! You're right on in your assessment that the fish are almost everywhere — shallow, deep and everywhere in between. Also right on in getting away from the crowds. I watch them on the camera and sometimes they go flying away when a truck is rumbling by. We've done well in 20-30 fow from Little Sturgeon Bay to Sugar Creek, but I know guys doing well in very shallow water farther south and farther east, and some doing well in 40+ feet while concentrating on perch. We've done well on size 2 Swedish Pimples, jigging Raps, 1/16-ounce Flash spoons, plain hooks and "crappie jigs" all tipped with minnow pieces and/or waxies. You're right on the concentration part ... I've been outfished often by guys who are really into it while I'm carrying on a conversation or looking around at a guy chasing a tip-up, etc. Perch should get good later in the month for sure. And, I'm looking forward to the colder weather later in the week. It's getting sloppy out there but once it hardens again should be pretty nice. Stay safe and let me know if you want to get out for a perch story later on.

Just wanted to post a "thank you!" to Scott for a donated spring walleye or brown trout trip to the Strawberry Creek salmon facility benefit March 21 at the Ladder House in Sturgeon Bay, 1-4 p.m. The public is welcome. No fee to come check out the raffles, silent auction, PowerPoint show and more, including smoked fish, cheese and crackers and a fully-staffed upstairs bar for a soda, juice, beer or mixer. Anyone who wants more info can call me at (920) 883-9792 or retired DNR fisheries supervisor Mike Toneys at (920) 743-9711. We have fishing and hunting trips, gear, Door County lodging stays, fish and wildlife art and more to raffle/auction off. Bring some $ and meet guides, other anglers and past and present DNR fisheries staff in a relaxed setting.

And, an update on fishing: the whitefish are still coming strong, mainly 20-30 feet of water but some guys fishing 'em shallower or deeper. Small baits tipped with minnow pieces or waxies and fished on or near bottom. You miss a lot and lose a lot, but if you hang in there, can get a lot, too. We haven't been getting many perch, but some friends in 40-60 feet are occasionally doing OK. They should be moving in to stage for spawning pretty soon, I would think (probably about the time the perch season closes in less than two weeks!). We've been doing better without the camera lately, but boy, it sure is fun to watch 'em on camera, too.

The ice is still plenty thick and lots of snow on top. A couple warmer days would help get rid of the snow and a return to cold this weekend means we'll still be fishing a long time yet. We've been driving out a half-mile to a mile or more at most spots with trucks, but as usual, you better know the area and proceed with caution this late in the season. Stay safe and have fun!