www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Advice for Middle Allegheny in May (1st trip for me)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Advice for Middle Allegheny in May (1st trip for me)

Hey Guys,

Two of my buddies and I are in the beginning stages of planning a 2-3 day float trip on the Middle Allegheny for the middle of May. We'll be staying somewhere in the Warren or Tionesta area. I've never fished it and I'm looking for some advice. We're not focusing on any specific species, we love to catch them all (trout, bass, pike, muskie) but I am partial to the skis. Anything in particular that I need to know? Places to hit, places to avoid? We're all die-hard CPR fishermen and this trip is a good excuse for us to get away and explore some new water. Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    jeremy
    Jeremy Wagner
    Tuscarora Tackle

If you are camping on the islands, I would reccommend stopping at Indian Waters canoe rental and buying a paddling guide. Really comes in handy to spot islands to camp on. Another tip is to bring more beer than you think you need, you can always take it home..........

LOL, thanks but I don't drink.

I've been eyeing up one of the river maps, I'm definitely going to pick one up.

jeremy
    Jeremy Wagner
    Tuscarora Tackle

They come in very handy. If you stop at Indian Waters, I think they are 30 bucks (worth every penny). Josh and Piper are the owners.... great people. If you rent through them, they usually give you some tips on camp areas and general river info.. never really talked fishing too much with them. If you are doing 2-3 days, big bend (Kinzua) to Indian waters (about 2 miles up from Tidioute) is a good trip. If i remember correctly it is 28 miles... GOOD LUCK.

Those maps are very nice and extremely detailed. I still use mine from time to time after 18 years on that section of river.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Hey Jeremy,

The river is finally fishable (for now). They shut down the outflow abruptly just a few days ago. From what I am hearing, they had been trying to bring the Res pool down for weeks due to scheduled maintenance on a valve. Well, based on the numbers I am seeing on the ACE site, the Res is rising almost a foot per day with these low discharge numbers so I anticipate some serious water flowing (once again) as soon as this project is complete.

If you are planning to fish up here, you may want to do it this weekend, if possible.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com