www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could choose anyone........

I would choose my Great Uncle, Warren Brown. He passed in '94 just shy of his 100th birthday. Uncle Warren spent his entire life on Sherman's bay, lake Chautauqua. I loved his stories of fishing on the lake in the old days, before outboard motors came into use. They used wooden boats with two sets of oars to troll spoons mostly (what we would call a bucktail spinner today). They also used june bug spinners ahead of live chubs, perch or suckers. The old timers had a technique called skittering that they did with long bamboo rods (no reel) to sweep a live sucker back and forth over the weeds. The sucker would be hooked through the mouth and out one eye so it was at an angle to impart action. Some of these rods had a large cork float about the size of a volley ball just ahead of the butt. When a muskie hit and the hook was set the rod was thrown in and the anglers rowed along following it until the fish tired. Catch and release didn't exist then, they ate every muskie they caught.

Anyone who wanted to go fish for some Alligator Gar in TX!!!!! Any Takers!!???

Default Jerry/Jose/Ed

I remember watching a guy by the name of Jerry McGinnis and remember how he was a no nonsense, non BSing type personality. He seemed honest and fished for species most guys on TV weren't after at all. I have a few choices for various reasons really....reasons of integrity and ballsiness combined....

Stange??? You've got to be kidding me...Lindner??? Maybe about 10 years ago...he is just a poster child for advertizers/christianity anymore...ICK! Theres a time and place for everything! Stange Joel???? OMG! I'm so surprised at you!

So #1 for me would be Jerry McGinnis and #2 would be Jose Wajebe the king of saltwater....he is just a cool a$$ dude man.....I'd just love to hang out with him and drink some good wine, eat some good seafood and BS about fishing!

I guess I should address a good muskie related fisherman...None of the ones I see on TV impress me really...Nor any of those guys in search of fame...Pete Maina or Spence Petros would probably be fun to fish with since they seem down to earth, but my first pick would probably be Ed Latiano. Ed died a few years back and lived in my local neighborhood...Hell of a fisherman and hell of a lure maker. I did get to know Ed, but never really got to fish with him since he was too old by the time I picked up the sport heavy 20 some years ago. He was certainly one innovative character for sure....I miss Ed.

Those are my choices...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpNFish View Post
    I remember watching a guy by the name of Jerry McGinnis and remember how he was a no nonsense, non BSing type personality. He seemed honest and fished for species most guys on TV weren't after at all. I have a few choices for various reasons really....reasons of integrity and ballsiness combined....

Stange??? You've got to be kidding me...Lindner??? Maybe about 10 years ago...he is just a poster child for advertizers/christianity anymore...ICK! Theres a time and place for everything! Stange Joel???? OMG! I'm so surprised at you!

So #1 for me would be Jerry McGinnis and #2 would be Jose Wajebe the king of saltwater....he is just a cool a$$ dude man.....I'd just love to hang out with him and drink some good wine, eat some good seafood and BS about fishing!

I guess I should address a good muskie related fisherman...None of the ones I see on TV impress me really...Nor any of those guys in search of fame...Pete Maina or Spence Petros would probably be fun to fish with since they seem down to earth, but my first pick would probably be Ed Latiano. Ed died a few years back and lived in my local neighborhood...Hell of a fisherman and hell of a lure maker. I did get to know Ed, but never really got to fish with him since he was too old by the time I picked up the sport heavy 20 some years ago. He was certainly one innovative character for sure....I miss Ed.

Those are my choices...
    Its a sad day for fisherman when someone would say that about Al Linder! The man is a true Icon!!!!! Having God in your Boat doesn't hurt either! JOSE WAJEBE! P- LEEEEEEEZE! Although it does sound like a nice evening you have planned with him! (TOTALLY KIDDING) LOL!
    Brian

I used to like Lindner a lot better before he started peddling all the products and religion. I have nothing against religion either, I happen to be a pretty devout Catholic myself. As I said before, theres a time and place for everything. He is still a Hell of a fisherman, I just think he is losing it a little...lol

LOL@Jose!! That was funny.

After ready the Lidner's book "First Light on the Water", I give them a lot of credit for how they ran their business. They turned down money from beer advertising due to their moral convictions when they were trying to get the business going. Looks like God honored that decision. Many cool stories and great pictures in that book. Also some cool fishing quotes. Rollie and Helens used to have it.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Light-Wa.../dp/1932458026

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12