www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bank ice and a spud bar

Default Bank ice and a spud bar

Has anyone ever tried pounding out a section of bank ice along the river in order to fish??? There are guys on the Susquehanna who will beat out a 50-100 yard stretch and drift live bait for walleye and muskies.

I have pounded out ice jams with my boat and chisled out the area around the launch ramp in order to launch my boat but I have never actually fished the open water from shore......You can tell where my mind is right now.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-28-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

At the end of November when it got real cold one of the spots i fished had about 30 feet of bank ice extending out, so I had been keeping a spud bar in my truck just for this occasion. It worked real well I, was able to open up a 50ft section to fish then push the big chunks of ice into the current. After about 5 minutes of casting, after working for half an hour to clear the ice, two other muskie fisherman came to the spot and began casting right beside me where I had just cleared the ice. This gave me that opening day of trout feeling so I had to leave. Now I don't even think a spud bar would help me because there are guys ice fishing my favorite spot probably at this very moment.

Reed

That reminds me of spending 2.5 hours spud barring the ice at one of our lauches here in Warren 10-11 years ago. I had waders on and actually wore a hole in my neoprene working on that ice. Man, it was thick too. I actually backed my trailer onto it hoping to crack it or something but no luck.....So I am sweating my butt off and finally cleared a path to fit the boat. I go and change clothes and then got the boat. Right after I launched, another boat came in to launch. The guy (who will remain nameless) says to me,"it is about time you did this, I have been waiting 2 weeks for someone to clear this out."

After my thoughts of choking him finally went away, I just told him good luck and went on my way.

Now, I use a different launch but still have to shovel/salt it but no ice to break up.....
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

The least they could have done was ask to use the spud bar and break thier own path. Apparently they thought it was majic that the ice was broken...... did they even ask if they could join you or did they just start casting?

The ice that I broke up was off the end of a small point and up along side the bank. I had planned on starting at the point and working my way around and up the shoreline fan casting. When they arrived I heard the one guy say "he is casting out that way" so I guess they assumed I had planned on staying in that exact spot continuing to make casts into the same spot over and over. I attribute it to either inexperience or stupidity or a litte bit of both. When I left the one guy said to me "we didn't crowd you out did we?" I just said no and left.

Reed,

We got a 10-15 mile stretch that needs busted out if you don't mind.
    Please post when you get it finished.......ha ha...

Unbelieveable what people will do and then give you the "sorry did I crowd you saying".

I'll have that stretch open for you by the weekend. LOL

Default Bustin some ICE

I just got back from trying to free the local boat launch of Ice. I got it all busted right along the bank before I ALMOST went in head first!LOL I think mother nature will take care of the rest today or tomorrow! Going to the store now for a couple bags of salt to throw across the top of it to speed things up alittle! I Really really really need to fish!!!!!

Brian

Looks like a small warm up on game day so i might be busting some up that morning so i can try a spot i've been thinking about. Now where's that spud bar ? :-)

Default Busting Ice

Just got home from busting ice away from the boat ramp again! Its alot easier to keep up with it and not let it get to hard again! I sure was getting some looks from folks driving past though. I was in pajama pants and a muskie innovations hoodie, swingin a spud bar! I guess it must have been a sight ...LOL I might try to get out before the Steelers crush some Redbirds tomorrow.

Brian

I have busted out ice in French Creek to fish. It seems it always turns into a near life or death struggle at some point during the episode though. But, it is generally worth it. I use a spud bar, a ten pound weight with a rope attached and of course I jump on it. After hours of frustration I normally get an area cracked out. I always have to wait a bit before the fish will bite though, they must be afraid of all of the splashing and flailing around!!