www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Northwest Side Spring

Default Northwest Side Spring

Do northwest fishing spots warm faster in spring on the chip? Hence, weeds and cover grow/develop sooner, bringing in bait-fish, which in-turn, bring in the muskie...or am I mistaken?

Yes and no. There are more spring fed areas in the northwest like in Crane Lake and Dorazio Bay. The springs don't pump out water fast like in the rivers on the east side but they do slowly let out cool water. You really don't see much of a water temp difference throughout the Chip with the exception of some of the smaller shallow bays. Small shallow bays can be quite a bit warmer in the afternoon on warm days. Shallow bays are also quite a bit colder than main lake areas in the morning. That's after a cold night anyway.

In the grand scheme of things the fish are in areas that work best for spawning regardless of water temps. The weed growth is another important factor to help keep the muskies in those shallow areas.

It probably depends on what time of year you get up here. If it's really early some of the weeds might not be up yet so mucky bays are key. If it's post weed growth time of year, then fresh weedbeds will hold most of the fish. I think I'm confusing even myself!
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

So does the east side warm up faster than the west? And with the muskie opener pushed into June does it really happen very often that we are fishing the Chip pre-weeds and pre-spawn? I know last spring was way slow but pretty out of the ordinary. Can you give some some examples of Chip spawning areas, without giving away spots? i.e. Moss Creek etc. And then does it follow that in cool spring conditions, mucky bottom areas that are adjacent to, or in spawning areas are the places to look?
    It seems in this sport that one answer just breeds 1000 more questions and the only way to really be sucessful is to quit wasteing valuable fishing time at work. Cold Front

Hello All:

Was reading this thread, anxiously awaiting the start of another muskie season and noticed that Coldfront had mentioned that the muskie opener had been moved back.

Historically it has been the fourth Saturday in May (North of Rt 10) which this year would be May 23rd. Have they changed the opener to a later date?

Don't want to wait any longer than I have too!

Chuck

Hey Chuck, the season opens on the 23rd like you said. That's going from the Hayward Lakes website anyway.

Coldfront, the east and west side do warm differently due to the inflow of water on the east side, but for the most part you don't see drastic changes in water temps. To see a two degree change in main lake basins on the west side compared to main lake basins on the east side would be abnormal.

You can see drastic changes in certain areas though like if you go where the rivers come in compared to a back bay. There can be quite a difference in temperatures when you look at it that way.

Almost all of the time on the opener the muskies are done spawning. I've seen a few times where the males were still up shallow guarding the spawning area but it's rare to see any big females left around by the opener. Even on the cold springs if the eggs are fully developed the females will drop them even if the water temps are not adequate. We saw that last year with walleye fishing. The ice went the day before opener and the female walleyes we caught on the opener were empty of eggs. They actually spawned under the ice, which is unheard of.

As far as spots, areas like the West Fork of the Chip River and east fork along with most other creeks and bays that are shallow and mucky. There are a million spots to look for spawning fish. That's probably why the Chip has been one lake to sustain itself this long without major stocking. The lake has an endless supply of good spawning structure.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com