www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Wind Question

Default Wind Question

Releaseher wrote: "i would like to see one on weather patterns, and more specifically wind and how to use them properly to increase your chances of tying into fish."

Wind is something most muskie fishermen hate. I love the wind. I didn't like it back when I didn't have the boat for it, but now it's something I look forward to. I think the most important part of fishing in the wind is boat control. I usually try to face into the wind with the boat. If it's too much or you are fishing a spot with another boat and have to drift with the wind, at least try to slow the boat down with your trolling motor. This helps to get a good hookset. There's nothing worse than drifting toward a fish and trying to set the hook.

The locations to fish with the wind can vary but for the most part the wind blown points and outer weed edges that are hit by the wind are key. Also remember that fish have to face into the wind. If you cast with the wind, you more than likely are going to bring your bait to the fish from behind it. If you cast crosswind, you are more likely to hit the fish sideways. If you cast directly into the wind, you would run the bait right into the fish's face. This is the best scenario but almost impossible to do without backlashes. Most of the time casting crosswind is what you want to do.

For lure's, topwater is always good in the wind. This is something that was taboo a few years back. Any loud topwater is good but it doesn't always have to be loud. Even Hawg Wabblers and creepers work as long as they run true. Bucktails are another wind bait that we've done well with. Again, loud bucktails like Ghosttail spinnerbaits or Shumway giant Flashers work well but don't be affraid to throw any style of bucktail. I guess the only baits that haven't worked well for us are gliders. We've caught fish on jerkbaits and crankbaits in the wind but bucktails and topwater are just easier and perform best in the waves.

As for the weather pattern part of the question, that's something I could go into really great detail on. I'll just say that I'm thankful that the Chip doesn't shut down from warm or cold fronts as much as most natural lakes do. The nice thing about the Chip is you usually get a few chances at fish even on the bad days.

The biggest thing with wind and weather patterns is to stay head strong and not give up. So many time people are complaining about the wind or the cold front when realistically the fish are in a feeding mood. You just have to get out there and fish hard.

I didn't cover everything but kind of the main few. If you have more question feel free. I don't know everything, this is just what works for me.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

In the last couple years I have made an effort to throw more bucktails/spinnerbaits when fishing the wind and I believe this has allowed me to catch more fish than throwing only topwater like I used to. There were quite a few times in 08 where I would work a windy spot first with a topwater and not believe I did not contact any fish, then motor back and run the area again with a bucktail or spinnerbait and catch fish. It got to the point where although I wanted to throw topwater I would grab the rod that had a bucktail or spinnerbait.
    I think part of it is I can cover alot more water in the wind with subsurface versus a slower moving topwater lure.

Thanks for writing these Ty, gets me thinking . . . which this time is a good thing!!!!!

Corey Meyer

I'll post more on Monday. Off to an ice fishing excursion. Brrrrrrrr!
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

I know it is best to try to cover all the water of the particular area one is fishing in the wind. Sometimes, you never know just exactly where a fish will hang out, so..fish the entire spot. Ok.

Now, we have all read at some point about fishing an area where the wind will have, shall we say, a more dramatic effect on a spot. I believe one might call it a funnel. Thus, it might become the spot within the spot. A narrows between two islands, or a channel between two underwater humps come to my mind. Perhaps a current area is created by robust wind.

In your experience, Ty and fellow serious fisherpersons, have y'all found any merit in this funnel concept that makes a narrows much more appealing than a vast flat like Pete's bar ? Also, kinda' in tune with windy conditions, are shorter casts just as productive as way long casts ?

Robert, I've fished with Ty on a fairly windy occasion and I gather that way long casts must not be necessary, because alot of the day I was throwing ghosttails into the wind. Way long casts just aren't possible in that situation.

Cold Fornt

Robert, long casts help in any situation but like Coldfront said sometimes it isn't possible. In the wind it seems you can get right up next to a fish with your boat because of all the chaos caused by the waves. Stealth tactics aren't as necessary as when you have a flat calm day.

As for the currents, I'm not a big fan of the neckdown areas like the eddies and pools behind small windblown channels or behind two windblown islands. The key word there is "behind". I like fishing in front of the islands and neckdown areas. Wind makes boat control a pain but from what I've seen it pushes the active fish out in front.

Main lake bars are easy to fish in the wind because if you screw up at least your boat isn't going to end up on shore like you would fishing shoreline structure. So what if you drift onto a main lake bar a little. You can always start over.

The funny thing about fishing in the wind is there are some days that the fish just don't want to be out in the waves. We found that last fall on a couple outings. We would hit one windswept shore and then one calm spot. Then repeat. At the end of the day we were getting more fish out of the calm spots. That's kind of nice because it gets a little cold sitting out in the wind with 40 degree air temps.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843