We cannot overlook the fact that even though they are classified as sight feeders, their hearing is exceptional. I did not realize how much their hearing came into play until I read about a study (years ago) where the retina was detached on several muskies. The goal of the study was to see if muskies with vision did in fact feed better than muskies without vision.

The result: muskies who were blind fed just as often and were in great health when compared to the ones with normal vision. Their refined lateral line allows them to hear well enough to feed with precision, no matter the water clarity. Adapting the presentation to help them find your bait is crucial during periods of "chocolate water" or at night.

Some of the largest pike I have caught were at night as well. I really think the BIG pike act more like a musky than a pike. Probably has something to do with the refinement of their lateral line as they become more mature.

The structure of a muskies' lateral line is more intricate. They have a few more pores along the jaw/nasal area than a pure-bred pike. Thus, they can hear a little better than a pike can.