www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Approaching a spot question

Default Approaching a spot question

Twells wrote:

"I would like to see more seminars on understanding your electronics or approaching a spot and things to look for. Mainly on the second one of why you fish a spot versus another and how you approach your set up on it."

I'll address the second part of the question on how to approach a spot.

There are quite a few things I look at when approaching a spot. The main thing is to have a visual picture in your head of what the structure is going to look like underwater. Basically you want a visual of what the lake would look like without water. After you have that, look for what breakline you are going to be fishing or what depth you are going to be fishing. You don't want to stop right on top of the spot or depth you are going to be fishing. On calm days stop out a ways further than you would on windy days.

Another way to approach a spot is to look for a certain weedbed that you know is in an area. Most of the time fish will relate to one small weedbed in a large area. If the area gets a lot of boat traffic like near a bridge or resort then you don't have to worry about your approach. You can stop relatively close to the spot without spooking the fish. If the spot is in the open or does not get much boat traffic then spot well in advance of the spot and fish up to it so as not to spook the fish.

If you are fishing at night try to approach the spots you choose very quietly. Most of the boat traffic will be gone so every boat that comes near a fish will make them weary of you. You should try to idle up to a spot as much as possible. You don't have to stop a half mile away from the spot but fifty to one hundred yards is fine.

The basic idea of how to approach a spot is to come into a spot knowing the structure you are going to fish and not spooking the fish to get to it.

Now for the second part of the question on "why I fish one spot over another".

There are a lot of reasons for picking one spot over another. Last year wind was a big factor. We had a lot of wind last year and the active fish seemed to be on the wind blown structure. We found fish on wind blown shorelines that I've never seen fish on before.

Baitfish is another factor that I like to try to utilize. Sometimes you can visually see the baitfish on the surface. Other times you have to use your electronics to locate the baitfish. Anyone that has fished the east basin of Vermillion know that the whitefish will show themselves on the surface from time to time. That is a opportunity to fish the closest structure nearby or even right around the whitefish.

Probably the most important factor on the Chip is weed structure. If you have fresh weeds you usually have at least one muskie relating to the weeds. Knowing the exact shape of each weedbed is important. you basically need to have an image in your head of what each weedbed looks like and approach every weedbed differently.

I think I'll try to do one of these seminar question per day. Otherwise I'll be on the computer all day. Thanks again for the input.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Ty,

Thanks for the reply on this. It will be interesting reading the responses to the questions over the next week or so. Thanks again for the info. Have a good winter and show season.

Trever

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    Knowing the exact shape of each weedbed is important. you basically need to have an image in your head of what each weedbed looks like and approach every weedbed differently.
    You would achieve this image in your head with deep weeds by taking a few casts and see how deep you can run a bait without snagging a weed?

When do you know when they are IN the weeds or suspended above them like last year? and then it's a scissor bait if they are down in there?

Phils fish got me thinking on how many fish are behind us. The first time the fish showed itself it was where it should be. Then it "disappeared" for about 6 weeks, or was it out behind where we would normally run the spot and we were never putting a lure in front of it. Then after coming out from under the boat after a lure you changed and decided to make a wide turn and you got the fish. How often do you think this happens and we never know about it.

Corey Meyer

Snizz, in the spring it's easier because you can visually see most of the weeds in the clear water but throughout the year it's good to let your lure tick the weeds per say. Spinnerbaits and twitchbaits or Suicks are good for feeling out the weeds. I usually run my bait a little lower to make sure I'm running the boat at the right distance from the weedbeds. Using your electronics helps to let you know you are on top of the weedbed. I haven't tried the side imaging sonar but know Corey has. That's another way to get a feel for the weedbeds.

As for when do you know if they are in the weedbed or suspended above them, if the weeds are thick more than likely the fish will be on the edge. If the weeds are spread out enough to have ample ambush space they will stay suspended above them.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Do you think I could find a scissor bait with the same double blade set-up as the double ghosttail? IF not, do you think I could get one custom made?

Corey, I bet the fish spend more time out on that outer edge than we think. I don't think they are active but I definitely don't know everything. How many times on Pete's bar do you see fish right next to the boat popping up while you're trying to make a long cast to hit the outer weeds? Those fish never hit. I think they are the same fish you catch on the weed edge when there is an active feeding window.

I wish we could know exactly what fish do sometimes. Then again, that would be too easy. One day of easy would be nice though.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Snizz, I haven't seen a spinnerbait with the same blades the new Ghosttails have but it can be done. Call Fred from Ghosttails and ask. Can't hurt.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Sorry Jason and Snizz. That one probably wouldn't sit too well with some parents. Gotta love the South Park reference though.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843