www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: this summer

Default this summer

Hey Rick, I was going to head to Vilas county to do some multi-species fishing. I had a couple of questions. Would that area be a good area? What time of year should I shoot for? The dnr web site has some info but I'd like the advise of a pro. Thanks for your help, I look forward in hearing from you.

Default Good Choice

Yes, Vilas county can provide good multi species fishing. In general the best fishing months are May, June, September, and October. However mid summer months of July and August can be very good bass fishing.
    Last edited by Rick Writz; 01-15-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Rick Writz Minocqua Area Fishing Guide Service
    E-mail: rwritz@newnorth.net
    Web Site: http://www.rickwritzminocquafishingguide.com

Default Thanks

Thanks for your fast reply. I think that we'll be going up in September. So I have alittle time. I think we'll be camping around or in the state park. Is there anything goofy I should know? Not just bibs or raingear. But something that could make the trip go better. Are you ice fishing? Today was like (wind chill) -25. Go Steelers

I guess bringing enough clothes to match the weather is the main thing. In September it could be 75 degrees or it could be 40 degreees. Generally the evenings start cooling off every day in September.

Too cold to ice fish last week but it's warming up now and I hope to get out a few times this week.

Your Steelers made it to the big game. Should be a good one.

Default Fall smallmouth

Hey Rick thanks so much for your help. I think we've nailed down a when and where just not sure on the who. One of the guys that might go is looking for a special fish. What are the odds of a five pound smallmouth? In spring is one thing in the fall is something else. It might hit 40 here Thursday I'm leaving work a couple hours early to try some spillway walleye. I'd like to hit a couple and start the year off right. We do have a whole 4 inches of ice. What's up there? About 3 feet. Take care.

You would probably be facing pretty tough odds to boat a 5 pound smallie, although it's certainly possible as we do see a handfull of them each year. It's just that 5 pounders don't come often. 2 to 4 pounds would be more realistic.

Was out on the ice yesterday and today. Caught a few walleyes yesterday and a few crappie and perch today. Ice depths from 15" to 2'.

They don't happen too often but fall is definitely the best opportunity. This one is from Mid October on the Three Lakes chain. A little over 22" and 5 lbs on the scale. THese footballs are a blast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default What A Fish

That was awsome!!!!!!! I'm just south of Indianapolis and in the rivers down here about the biggest has been like 2 lbs. I would LOVE to see a four or five lb. pig. Thanks for sharing that great picture.