www.lakegenevacannery.com

View Poll Results: 23 inch slot limit on LBDN

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep as is - 5 fish, 15 inch minimum, only 1 over 23 inches.

46 88.46%
  • change it back - 5 fish, 15 inch minimum, no other slot limits.

6 11.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 23 inch slot limit on LBDN

I kinda think a dead fish is a dead fish. 15 inches, 22, inches, 25 and bigger. It's all about the spawning conditions and which year classes are good-vs-explotation rates. A high reproduction-explotation rate will make for a good fishery. Just look at Lake Erie.....there is no slot limit there and its the walleye capital of the world with lots of big fish.

If you want a slot.....lets do a "no kill" from 20-25 inches so we can save the prime spawners. One last word...shut down the slaughter in the FOX and Menominee Rivers for one month every spring and you'd probably save alot more big fish than get caught inside LBDN all year round.

Just my opinion.....don't ever take it personal.

One thing I am also really curious about is to where all the "save the fish" activists were when the DNR DID CHANGE THE LIMIT ON SALMON TO 5 INTEAD OF 3. I guess I will be the voice for the poor discrimianted against salmon! As Rodney Danderfield would say "I get no respect!" Salmon deserve more than they got.

Default Keep It

The slot should stay, the limits (number and size) depend on the system and each system is unique. I grew up in Esky and fished with my Dad all the time. We hardly ever caught Walleye until 1986, that was after the treaty with the Natives to limit when and where they fished the Bay. When they did come back the 23" slot helped maintain the Big Fish and works for Little Bay.

I now live in Appleton and Winnebago has a NO CLOSED SEASON, NO SIZE LIMIT limit 5 walleye per day. There are more walleye now than ever in Bago even with the no closed season. That is because the recruitment depends on the conditions during the spawn. They spawn in the marshes along the Wolf River and education has taught people to open up the marshes and put the females back. Most people keep the "Milkers" and through the females back to spawn.

You could fish for two years in Winnebago and not catch one over 28", this system just puts out numbers not size like Little Bay. Two different systems two different rules and each work for the unique system. The DNR does actually know what they are doing (at least for fish).

Thumbs up

All I can say is... Great post Chris!

This is the most discusion I've seen in awhile on this site.. without cutting down the others, and still voicing your opinion.

Enjoyable and nice to see everyone talking and sharing info. Nice job Chris!
    OK... 10 More Minutes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12