www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Pluck the Line

Default Pluck the Line

When you are snaggedon somthing and your not sure if it's a fish or just a stump, should you always pluck the line? If so, how affective is it, will the fish really notice the vibrations on the lure?
    Thanks Noonan

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you explain more?
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

I was told by a local Hayward Nature Guide (Ty), "When in doubt, set the hook like ya got a pair Johnny." Plucking the line is for guitar heros and will probably cause you to lose a fish. No time to play around when fishin for skis, just set the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Can you explain more?
    Sorry About that, what I ment was, if your fishing and you get hooked on somthing either a log or a stump or a fish, What would be the best way to figure out if its a fish or a log? (this is before you set the hook) I have heard if your unsure if its a fish or a log you should pluck or strum your fishing line. I guess the vibrations from the line will make the fish run. If you have ever used this, how effective is it?

I would think by the time you feel your line it's too late. If something odd happens to your line just set the hook. If the lure is close to the boat set at a downward angle as not to hook yourself or others. Even if you think you hit weeds set the hook. A lot of times we loose fish because people think they have weeds when in actuality it was a soft hit. Don't be affraid to be overly aggresive with how you react while retrieving lures. The best fishermen or women for that matter usually have the quickest hookset on weeds. I always know it's going to be a tough day when someone doesn't react to weeds. Always, and I mean always jerk the rod on a change in feel if you can't see the lure.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

I learned last year that the set on anything different rule applies. We were fishing a hump and on my retrieve my line went completely slack. My first thought was "what the *^#$ did my lure fall off" then it dawned on me I should probably set. It was a fish and my hand slipped off the handle and I lost it. We continued to fish and on the other side of the hump the same thiing happened. This time I was ready and boated a nice 41 1/2. So set set set.