www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice fishing anyone?

Default Ice fishing anyone?

My partner has been on Chautauqua the past few days but the ice is not very safe, especially on the North end. He has been hitting some nice crappies and a few walleye as well. After this week's arctic blast, the ice SHOULD be good on the entire lake.

Has anyone been hitting the hard water in PA yet???
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-12-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Hit the Zoo a couple times this past week. Hit a few walleyes and a mess of monster perch. Made for a heck of a fish fry!

The Zoo ? Mind sharing a tip where those perch are at ? I haven't had a perch fry since i lived in Ohio over 10 years ago.

Let's just say it was within walking distance of Willow Bay. Oh, and forgot to mention, the ice is 4-5" in most places there now. With this cold snap coming, it's only going to get better!!! Good luck

I have not heard much about Kinzua ice fishing lately. Has anyone been out there? Success??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

OK, how about any body of water in the US?? Has anyone been out??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

There were several anglers on the ice at Yellow Creek lake in Indiana County the other day.

I have been ice fishing since the middle of December all on Kinzua. Well i guess i did make it out one time to the Allegheny River. I have done pretty well on eyes up on the Reservation. We have caught a few 4 lbers, couple 3's and many nice healthy eyes in the 18 inch range. Most of the time we catch a few short ones and average only one or two keepers but they are usually 18 inches or better and pregnant. We even let some of the pregnant eyes go!
    The dredge has produced an 8 and a 6 lb walleye, a few pike, and even a couple of musky. The pike and ski were all released.
    Not sure if you have heard this but the new New York State record was caught up near the river on the reservation last Tuesday. The fish weighed 16lbs 10oz. Allegedly, it was weighed at a store in Allegheny NY and verified by a dec officer of NY. Now there is controversy over where it was caught but if i had to put money on it i would say Kinzua was the place seeing how it is one of the only places in PA spitting up walleye of that size.

I had not heard about the big eye from the NY section of the Res/river but it certainly is believable. Thanks for the info.

Hey Chris..........what year did you graduate from Warren?? I was trying to remember.......my guess is 1999 because I left the following year and headed to Falconer.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-29-2009 at 06:22 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Yep you're right, I did graduate in 1999. The outdoor education class you taught was the best class (high school or college) that i have ever been a part of. My senior year we had that field trip where we got to fish all day and then had steak, shrimp, chicken, and all sorts of goodies for lunch! I bet school is not quite the same anymore eh?

Chris,

I did not realize (until the past few years) just how many of you guys enjoyed that class. I sure enjoyed teaching it and really miss it. I think it was dropped from the curriculum after I left due to lack of finding a teacher who would take it on....

I remember going to the grocery store and ordering 85 Delmonico's (2-inch thick, of course) and 50 pounds of shrimp and having the guy just look at me like I was crazy when I told him it was for a HS Fishing Trip!

Glad you enjoyed the class and the food because I sure did.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress