www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Wolves

Default Wolves

I know this is offtopic and probably a bit paranoid, but going to ask it anyway.

Wanted to walk my dog on the trail that's near fisherman's landing, anyone heard anything about any wolves in the area ?

I used to walk him on belding road, but after seeing fresh dog tracks and only old truck tracks, looking for a different location. Thinking about scouting that area without the dog again though, was a nice road that hardly anyone uses.

Thanks,
    Joe

Default They are there too

Hi Joe,

See the post "Wolves out front"

I took pictures off our porch of a pack of wolves. There were three gray and one black wolf. In one picture you can see where they were howling, what a sound.

There is a pack that's been working the flowage for years. Moving a few miles isn't going to take you out of their area. Iron county has one of the most dense populations of wolves.

I wouldn't let your dog stray to far from you.

One time we were ice fishing on the big water with Mark Fort and his wife. They had their two dogs along and a pack of wolves came out on the ice. We had to stand there waving our arms and yelling before they would leave.

Just use good judgement when out there.

Keep you stick on the ice,
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Check this link out for wolf distribution in WI.....

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/wolf_map.htm

If you use the "ATRI Interactive" tool on that link it says that the pack is called the "Hoffman Lake" pack. Evidently they are radiocollared.

Here is the table is gives, FWIW. I don't know what all the fields are:

Rec HR_ID SUBSETID WOLF_ AREA PACK_NAME YEAR SQMI_AREA RADIOLOCS OTHERLOCS ZONE COUNT BREEDING KM2 APPROX
    1 58_MCP 89 W621 (mod) 219000000 Hoffman Lake 2007 0 9 6 1 5 Y 0 1
    Last edited by MuskieRandy; 01-09-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Additional info

Exclamation Wolves

Joe,

I live near Springstead Landing (not too far from Fishermans by water/ice) and have seen wolves on the ice several times. My most recent sighting was last spring when a pack of 6-7 were on the ice moving from the Baraboo Lake area north toward Fisherman's Landing.

A neighbor, who lives near the "Horseshoe" part of the TFF, saw wolves to the east of Pine Island in mid-December of 2008.

Caution is always advised !!

Tight Lines,

Tom502

Default Wolves

I'm on Wilson Lake, not far from the Flowage, and saw a pack of 6 wolves on the road on the east side of the lake this summer. A workman was driving a front loader down the road and the wolves never moved! We also had a large cougar come up the stairs from the lake, walk across the yard and disappear. Makes me a bit nervous with my dogs!

Wow, I expected replies like "Don't worry, just ghost stories." And nice pics of the howling wolves!!! A map showed that the wolves near belding road probably are a different pack. And now I don't feel like such a wus when I called the dog and then did a jog for about 1/2 mile in boots. I'm not a jogger either. I just had an image of him seeing a wolf and taking off after it, and then that's it. No more doggy. Just got him last may from the dog place in hurley and he's a good dog if he get's his walk, and a walk in the woods is like a little kid getting to go to great america.

Thank you guys ALOT! You may have just saved Trapper dog's life.