www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: January 7th Report...

Default January 7th Report...

Kenneth and I hit the ice this evening. Actually I was out before Kenneth trying for Whitefish for awhile (no luck). Then Kenneth came out about 3:30. Kenneth started out in 49 feet of water but moved shallower (32 feet) after awhile because he was catching nothing but little guys. We both ended up with two keepers each and several throwbacks. Kenneth caught his fish on #7 Purple Rapalas, Holographic Green/Rainbow Ice Darters, Holographic Purple Ice Darters, and Chartreuse/Orange Tiger Ice Darters. I was in 36 feet of water. I caught all my throwbacks on the Holographic Purple Ice Darters but then switched to a #7 Glow Green Tiger Rapala about 5:15 and ended up catching both keepers plus losing another about 23 inches on the Rap. I had a big school of nice fish below my hole for about 20 minutes. Everytime I would hook one, the others would follow it about half way up. It was a short and sweet bite (5:30-5:49), but alot of fun. I have not seen that many good sized fish on my graph at one time like that in years. The only way I could coax the fish into biting was to jig the lure just about as hard as I could! Anything less, and they would start to head for the bottom. My keepers were 19 1/2 and 21 inches. Kenneth's were 16-18 inches I'm guessing. For only being 20 inch fish, I could not believe how chunky my fish were. All in all, a pretty nice evening. It's always fun fishing with my brother. Especially when I catch the bigger fish!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ken 1.JPG 
Views:	540 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	3615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ken 2.JPG 
Views:	649 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	3616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ken 3.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	3617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kevin 1.JPG 
Views:	571 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	3618  
    Kevin Lee

Thumbs up

Nice fish, Can't wait to get back down,hpe to on Friday..Next week doesn't look so good with the weather getting super cold.. May still have to take the trip.. Can't believe you can catch fish with those Jigs, always had luck with live bait.. Have to try those some time..

Default Low barometer and success?

Nice fish Kevin....Do you guys ever notice a different bite with a low barometer this time of year? For example, today the barometer was very low 29.28 AND it said "poor fishing"

I fished an inland lake today for perch and walleye and the bite was "way off" from what it has been. Yet, you guys had what appears to be a decent bite tonight. What gives? Does it affect the fish differently in a larger- deeper body of water? Any thoughts on this....

I've always felt "the best time to go fishing, is whenever you can go." I've had a lot of really good trips in the past during what should have been poor fishing conditions.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Quote Originally Posted by jigrapper View Post
    Nice fish Kevin....Do you guys ever notice a different bite with a low barometer this time of year? For example, today the barometer was very low 29.28 AND it said "poor fishing" What gives? Does it affect the fish differently in a larger- deeper body of water? Any thoughts on this....
    I wouldn't exactly say that we had a great bite last night with each of us only landing two keepers. As far as the barometer, what we've found is that the fish can really light up just prior to a low, and during a low, and we've had some awesome days in shallower water during a low (storm). By shallow, I mean 6 to 10 fow. As the high pressure moves in, seems the fish slow some and maybe move deeper some, but two or three days into a high (consistent weather) and the bite is pretty good and consistent again. Last evening a friend of ours caught 4 nice fish and had others come off as well, so the bite was o.k. for him, but not great by Little Bay standards. A great bite would be like Walleye Guy and I had two years ago at first ice when we hooked 32 nice fish in one afternoon and the following morning...now that was fun! Chris hit it on the head though...the best time to go is whenever you can!!! Good luck fishing...

Captain Ken Lee
    Bay de Noc Charters
    http://www.baydenoccharters.net

Default LBDN Help

I was thinking about heading up to LDBN this winter to do some ice fishing. Are there any good guides up in this area that can take me fishing and show me the ropes. I'd really hate to drive from MN and not have the best chances of at least getting some action. I have no problem paying someone to learn.

Secondly, are there any good places to stay in Gladstone? Any numers or websites?

Lastly, if someone could provide info on lures that I should have hands down for walleyes.

Thanks to anyone willing to answer my questions, and hope 09 is a good one

Ahhhh, a Minnesotan, good people, I have many relatives in Minnesota. I believe Baitshop Guy is from Mn too. Anyways...the Shorewood motel is a good place to stay in Gladstone (906-428-9624), close to the access and a baitshop nearby too. If you don't mind driving a few miles, we loan out hand-held G.P.S units to our guests with some of our favorite coordinates on them. As far as lures...there are lots of good baits that will catch fish out here. Moonshine "Shiver Minnows" have been catching fish this winter as well as #7 and #9 raps. Our favorite colors in the raps are "green glow tiger", "clown", and purple. Ice Darters (http://www.icedarter.com) are a new lure like a rapala, similar action...but a different size. Half way between a 5 and 7, but the weight of a 7. Best colors this year have been "holographic green/rainbow", "chartreuse/orange", and "holographic purple tiger". I just got a message from a guy in Green Bay that ordered a bunch more. He said he caught some nice fish last weekend including a 29 inch 10lb 8 oz. fish he released. Don't rule out some spoons too. My favorite is a Williams Wobbler...the ww30 series. Tip the treble hook with a minnow tail and use a slow lift/fall movement. They usually inhale it on the fall. Sometimes you can't use a light spoon though because of heavy currents in the bay. Locally made Swedish Pimples still catch plenty of fish too, chartreuse has always been my best color. Just keep checking the report board for current updates or give one of the area bait shops a call. Chris and Diane at BayView Bait and Tackle are always willing to help you get started too. They're number is (906-786-1488).

Captain Ken Lee
    Bay de Noc Charters
    http://www.baydenoccharters.net

Nice job guys.. I just return from the Outback Bowl in Tampa FL..

Hawkeyes won big. The weather was amazing!

But I still can't wait to get out on the ice.

Take care