www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Roll call for Chicago

Default Roll call for Chicago

Anyone heading out to the Chicago Show this weekend??

Someday I will get out there to check it out. I am looking forward to hearing the reports about the new baits for '09.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Map quest says..... 9 hours and 29 minutes to drive.

Maybe another year. I'll have to wait for the reports like you.

If the muskies where going to show up and decide what they liked then that be different and worth the drive I guess.

I used to compete in a wrestling tournament at Northwestern U. during Christmas vacation. Going out is not so bad but coming home was always a downer with the time change.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-07-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Not going to the Chicago show but I'm going to the Butler show and the Columbus show. Did anyone go to the Columbus show last year, just curious how big it was?

A friend of mine has been there for several years and has noticed a progressive decline in the turnout. He was surprised that it did not fold after last year's turnout BUT it is still the only "muskies only" show East of the Mississippi held on US soil.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

OK. I have a question... how is the butler show? what are the %'s is it mostly hunting, mostly fishing, what % is musky fishing..... I am still planning on going either way but are there a decent amount of vendors? I need to know how much money I should beg out of my wife (she is getting a refund from school before the taxes will be done....) any thoughts?

Jacob

I was not there last year but I heard it was very good, especially the first day. I heard that most vendors had sold out of the "good stuff" by the end of the evening on Saturday. I bet they (the vendors) will be ready this year.

You should get some very good feedback from guys that were there......
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

IMO- The Columbus show is a complete bust besides seeing some faces you'd spot in magazines etc. I found some stuff to buy, but that is mainly because I bought some of the hot baits from Rollie's. Could've got most of the stuff online. I didn't go last year, and wouldn't return back. Now the Butler fishing show is where it's at. It's 90% musky stuff, and where else can you talk to some of these guys?! Bill Crane helped me out with some baits I was making last year, Bill Looney gave me some tips, and it was the introduction of the little baby Legend lure. Dale Wiley, Willeys Bucktails, Jones Baits, toothyfishman's retreivers, all make the 45 minute trip for me MORE than worthwhile. This year I'm going to try and limit it to a couple baits, but these new Legend lures are calling me....and these are new for this year!!

SOLD! I will be at the butler show on day one for sure now!

Thanks,

Jacob

I was also at Butler and Columbus last year. Butler is a very nice show with great baits and great people. Columbus was a pretty good trip. The trip to columbus was more for some seminars and to meet some people from the midwest. I met steve jonesi at the shack attack booth, and he hooked me up in minnesota this year while on a business trip. Shack Attack had lots of customs, llugen made me several tails, picked up some krushers in show colors, bought a 2lb bulldawg. There really aren't many deals, but a chance to handle some baits and see some custom colors.

I was planning on going to chicago this year, but too many other things going on. Maybe next year.

Yeah I met Hulbert in Columbus and he was hung over and pretty much a ****. Totally turned me off from wanting to meet the guy, but that happens, you can see his attitude in some of the posts he makes on other websites. One thing I figured out this year was that alot of the guys making custom colors will either post some stuff prior to selling it at the show or will take your custom orders. Andy at ShackAttack is makin a really cool Golden Perch color in all his baits, which is a custom show color, but i got a couple off him already. I know there are a couple custom colored weagles and wabulls around too.

Andy is a first class guy......great baits and customer service as well.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-07-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I was at the Butler show all weekend last year. There were some great vendors and seminars. It is 90% musky. I am sure all the vendors plus more will be there this year. I hope to see you all there. Joe m

Default Butler

Hey Red, Are you speaking at the Butler Show? I hope so! I get tired of hearing about lakes and Double Cowgirls. Thats all these guys talk about! Some people do fish rivers you know! LOL

Thanks...Brian

I am not speaking there.........I will have one of the large tables and will be just hanging out. There are some very good musky fisherman doing seminars and I hope to hear them all. Talking to a few of the legendary bait makers will be cool as well.

I am especially looking forward to putting a face with these board names, I think. lol
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Cool Butler

Yea Red, I'm looking forward to shaking hands with a few guys I have talked with on these boards. The day of the show (Feb.8) is my Birthday, So I'm hoping Momma will fix me up with a couple extra bucks so that I can shake some of the lure builders hands too! LOL You guys don,t have to get me anything! But I do have a fondness for fine chocolates and any type of muskie gear!LOL

Talk soon...Brian

BTW...Hey Red, I'm gonna shoot you an Email later today!

Red - looking forward to meeting you as I plan to attend on Sat. this year.

We drove thru a blinding snowstorm on 79 last year to make the show on Sunday and it was definitely well worth the drive from Erie. To meet and talk with the guys from Amma Bamma, Crane, Wiley, Leo, Legend, etc. and see their baits all in one place truly makes it worthwhile. Howard Wagner also did a very good seminar.

I started a Butler Fishing Show fund after last year's trip since you cannot do credit cards. If they were set up for that it would get ugly in a hurry!

I hear ya Mark, I had to make a run to the ATM last year

Mark,

Ditto on this end as well.......JBortz speaks highly of you.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Jim is really a class act. I took my son and folks down to see him and his parents at the McKeever Nature Art Show in Sandy Lake in Sept. That is a great show that is held annually. Jim had a number of his paintings at the exhibit. I know you have probably seen his paintings online and in MH magazine but to see his work in person is something entirely different. Anyone looking to hang some musky artwork in their home and/or camp needs to check out Jim's stuff.

He did a print for me of a musky exploding on a spring dawg and I cannot wait for the framing to be finished so I can hang it in my house. My art IQ is about 40 (on a good day) but the detail on some of those brown trout we caught in late summer is incredible. It really is difficult to tell the difference between the real photos and his paintings.

His work has recently been shown in a few of the most prestigious outdoor art galleries in the world.......he is rubbing elbows with the best in the land.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Does anyone know if there are any bait shops that participate in the butler show? I am sure that there are no Rollie and Helens are not there but I did not know if the happy hooker would be there or if it is just a bunch of booths of individual lure makers.

Thanks,

Jah1317

Is there a website for the Butler show?
    John

Hey John,

Yes there is.......www.butlerfishingshow.com

The contact info is included on the site. Howard Wagner and Harry Marfin are the co-directors. I was not there for the inaugural show last year but I have heard it was a very good show. Here is the List of LURE vendors from last year:

Amma Bamma
    Crane Baits
    Jones Baits
    Willey Bucktails
    Muskietrain Lures
    Brunner Runner Bucktails
    Big Game Tackle
    Mr. Toothy Lures
    Eyemax Walleye Baits
    Grandma Lures
    Legend Lures
    Leo Lures
    Mentzer Lures
    Newman Lures
    RX Lures
    Wiley Lures

I also tried sending you an email from my school last week but it was rejected. All I wanted to say was "thanks", in regards to the email you sent to my musky@westpa.net address during the holidays.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 01-12-2009 at 08:19 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I emailed Howard on Friday to get some additional info. since there is not alot posted on the show website as far as seminar times, speakers, etc. He said the seminars will pretty much be scheduled at the same times as last year and he is finalizing things right now. There will be a couple new speakers and he has added several more booths with different products.

Howard also mentioned that pretty much everyone that was there in 2008 is coming back this year...that's alot of baits! My wish list is always in my pocket and I have a Feb. birthday so watch out.

Thanks,
    Unfortunately I am working a show in Chicago that weeekend. I'll look into the show for next year though.
    John