www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice Fishing????

Default Ice Fishing????

Capt. Scott or anyone. just wondering if i could get a report or update on the ice fishing if any thats going on in that area. would appericiate the advice.
    Thanks,

Ready for salmon fishing- Mighty Mate
    As Always, Tight Lines And A Wet net!

2. Smile Ice Fishing

Ice fishing has been very good we have had a few solid weeks of walleye fishing already, a bonus in December. It is hard to believe we have this much ice, but it is important to remember that its early Jan and the open bay just isn't safe yet... I remember a few years back when we didn't have any ice in December. There are lots of very good spots covered with plenty of safe ice and we have been concentrating on walleye right now and doing very well. The weather is suppose to stay cold and we should be able to get to some good perch fishing spots within the next few weeks. I've posted some photos of our walleye catches and have been catching lots of whitefish just off of the walleye humps too. http://www.reelactioncharters.com/photo-log.shtml
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walleye 2009.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	3596  
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Web Site: http://www.reelactioncharters.com/index.shtml

Don Dumas Guest

wow nice fish scott keep gettin them like that
    don

4. Default Cold Weather

We had a good bite going for walleye and whitefish before the deep freeze, and we did hit the ice despite the cold temps... The wood stoves in the shanties felt pretty nice today! It isn't bad when it's 75 degrees in the shanty and -35 outside. We can drip right up to the shanty with the stuck and start fishing. I had a great group of tough fisherman from Indiana on the ice and we watched lots of whitefish come in on the camera, but they just got hit too hard with this front. They are very negative, we did manage to ice some whitefish and a few perch, but I think the walleye and perch are going to be tough until the weather warms up starting tommorrow night. We are excited to finally get out to the open bay this weekend. We'll keep hitting some of our walleye spots which will remain good thoughout the winter and actually improve as pressure subsides, but the open bay will provide us some good opportunities to catch jumbo perch. It will also provide us with lots of places to target. With the recent cold weather I'm confident that we should find safe ice thoughout most of the northern bay... We'll be out in full force thoughout the weekend and hpefully be able to post some good information soon... Good Luck
    Last edited by Captain Scott Gutschow; 01-15-2009 at 10:59 PM.
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow

Default Great Job

Scott:

Great job keep it up, we have been doing pretty well as of late of Hendersons for the whiteys, and so so in or around Sturgeon Bay for the perch and a few bonus pike. My question to you is, can you give me a starting point for some walters, I am having a tough time. No specifics, just a heads up, maybe structure wise or portions of the bay. I dont want any spots, just general info to keep a heads up for. Any advice would be great, if not, great job on those walters bud!

Adam
    Last edited by muskyhavoc; 01-04-2010 at 05:43 PM.

6. Default Walleye

We had a pretty solid walleye bite going since first-ice, but it has dwindled some... We are catching some walleye again now that the cold spell is over and we are seeing a fair number of smaller fish mixed in.... I recommend fishing some deeper water near structure.... Our best fishing is in 28 to 35 feet jigging large golden shiners with odd-ball jigs. I have had some good luck recently with smaller rapala jigs tipped with a rozy red and the whitefish have been biting these rigs too .... The first few hours in the morning or the last few hours before dark. Shewood Point, Hendersons, and Rileys continue to provide good fishing and a number of fisherman are catching walleye while they are targeting perch in Dykesville and Little Sturgeon.. I would think if you targeted walleye in some of these perch spots you would do well.... Keep in mind that fishing pressure greatly affects walleye... Noise on the ice, drills, trucks, atv's, etc all will send walleye swimming from your camera as quickly as the pressure starts... It takes time for them to return and settle in again....
    Reel Action Charters
    Captain Scott Gutschow