www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Crankbaits

Default Crankbaits

Mike, I am looking for some crankbaits that are effective out in the webster area. do you have any suggestions on which models, colors, etc? I would really appreciate the advice.

Steve,

It depends on where (depth of water) you plan on using your crankbaits.

Shallow Water: S.S. Shads work really well, and Kyle send me a few of his new 9 inchers that are simply WICKED!! These things are going to put a serious hurt on the fish in 09. Also the new Krisco by Llungen Lures is going to be a great bait as well. I had one of these for most of the season and was really impressed. Big profile, but a shallow running jointed crankbait. I will also have a "custom color" of the Krisco at the Chicago Musky Show in the Llungen Lures booth....you definately should check these out as they are great shallow running baits.

Mid depth to open water (10-50 ft. of water)
    I really like the 9 inch Grandma's, but I use them more as a RIP and TWITCH bait, not really a crankbait. I BOMB cast them out, crank them down with probably 7-8 cranks to get them down then start RIPPING and TWITCHING..and hard. I also like the Kickin' Minnows as well for this depth.
    Depth Raiders are also good lures to use in this location. The get deep enough and back out of weeds if fishing the deeper weed edges.

As far as colors go....I don't really care about color to much.
    Mike Hulbert's Musky Guide Service
    E-mail: info@mikehulbert.com
    Web Site: http://www.mikehulbert.com

419-553-6570

Release 'em all

Default Advice

Mike thanks for the advice, I am still puttign together my arsenal and looking to buy good baits not just junk. I have a few of the kickin minnows but will surely look for the lures you mentioned. Thanks!

Scuba, i like Crane baits as well. the short tall ones are nice. the 5" and 6" models. the 100 series cranes are shallow running. the 105's are nice.

the crane 305 is also sweet.

I have a 10 inch Jake that I've tried on a number of occasions at various lakes and have never seen a fish follow it. Does anyone else throw Jakes? If so, any luck?

shibes24

I've gotten a few fish on 10" Jakes trolling, but nothing casting. Though I'm usually casting Grandmas or Triple D's.

Yeah, that's what surprises me. Isn't a 10 inch Jake very similar to the Grandma? Most people on this site seem to talk about Grandma's. What's the difference between the two? Maybe that's a silly question but I don't understand why one works and the other doesn't.

I guess that's why it's called "fishing" and not "catching" right. What makes sense to me doesn't make sense to the fish and I guess the fish's opinion is more important than mine.

shibes24

Shibes24...here are my comments on 10" and 8" Jakes.
    I have many of them. I do not catch very many indiana muskies on them. I do not troll in indiana. if i did, i'm sure they would put a few fish in the boat. I use to cast 10" jakes all the time in Indiana without much success. I did have some success on them in the late 1990's, but not in the past 8 years.

Jake are loud, big, not much finessee to them. In my opinion, they are not great casting baits on heavy pressure lakes (all indiana lakes). I have done really well on 10" jakes (casting) in Canada though. Yes, they do have a time and place, i just do not believe they are great baits for Hoosier musky fishing.

They have have much much wider wobble and they are louder than Grannies. Grannies (the 9" inchers) have a much tighter wobble and their rattles are quiter.

I use 6", 8", and 10" jakes every time I'm out. Out of all my stuff, they seem to be the go-to baits. I use the 10 trolling. And cast the 6 and 8's. Even had a bass on a 8" this fall.

I probably haven't thrown a Jake in Indiana waters in a few years.
    I prefer the 9 inch grandma's. No rattles and better action when RIPPING and TWITCHING.

Stick with what you've got confidence in!!!
    Mike Hulbert's Musky Guide Service
    E-mail: info@mikehulbert.com
    Web Site: http://www.mikehulbert.com

419-553-6570

Release 'em all