www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Best Ice Stick For Walleyes On LOTWs????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best Ice Stick For Walleyes On LOTWs????

With the constant improvement and new technologies, I thought I'd solicit opinions on what people think are the best walleye ice fishing rods now available. I would assume there may be a favorite for a dead stick, and another for aggressive jigging. I'd like to see specific rods, and the logic for choosing it.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

Great question Frank. I am considering replacing one or two of my rods and find that there are graphite, fiberglass and telescoping available. One of the models will show up in your fishing house in 3 weeks.

Frank just stick with a willow stick, it has great tip action.

Red face walleye rod for ice fishing

I currently own 11 ice rods. Ugly Stick makes nice ice rods, Dave Genz has his own line, Thorne Brothers in Fridley,Mn makes nice rods, St. Croix has rods and they will replace them if broke while catching a fish. Several more, some cheap, some expensive. I usually spend around $30 for the rod and the same for a 3-5 ball bearing reel. Make sure you use an ice line, as summer line does not react the same to very cold water. Myself, i mainly use medium action rods and some light sction-but not ultra-light.

I am also one to try something new. I bought a Wrist Savor rod this year and will see if it helps wrist fatigue, due to the number of fish caught on each ice fishing trip to Baystore.

Here is an answer that was sent to me directly:

" I would prefer a good quality 28 to 30 inch rod with a Tennessee cork handle with a minimum of five guides. It should be medium action with a semi-whippy tip. A good reel with a very good drag system is a must. Thorne Brothers makes a very nice walleye rod but others can be bought for less that work just as well. The Shinamo AXULS or TX500 are good reels or the Tica Cetus is also a good one. I use Cajun Red line in 4# test, otherwise I use Trilene XL. Never use superbraid on ice. Line stretch gives a better hook set when fishing vertical. I usually have a 36" leader of 6 to 8 pound flourocarbon tied on at the business end too. Hope that helps".

Muskie Nut,

I prefer hickory. To smack you across your butt!
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight 'line',so I use the fastest rod I can pack.Usually about a 55 grain weight on the end of the 'line'.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Walsh View Post
    Here is an answer that was sent to me directly:

Muskie Nut,

I prefer hickory. To smack you across your butt!
    Careful Frank, or me and my union buddies will kick your arse!
    Last edited by Muskie Nut; 12-30-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Well Frank, you have a rather unique ice rod- on the long side (40 inches I'm guessing) with plenty of backbone and somewhat of a soft tip. I plan to make one someday since you can't buy em like that from what I see.

What they sell now are more "specialty" rods, some for pan fish and others for walleye and then the bigger ones for pike- which are generally too stiff for jigging walleye. I just went thru my rods. I bought most of them at Gander Mtn when they go on sale for 50% off late in the season. I'd say the "best" all around is called a 28" Professional "Ultra-Lite" Gander brand graphite, 5 guides. The rod diameter is rather thin at the tip (.050") but about .180” dia at the handle. Has a good "feel" for jigging and plenty of backbone and a “slow” flex or action (most of the rod bends- not just the upper tip section). I'd say to pass on all the light looking rods- some of them have rod tips in the .030" diameter range- no good for LOTWs in my opinion unless you are a true finesse
    Fisherman and need the super light tip for tough conditions. Most will have rod diameters around .170" or less at the handle; one like that with a .050” tip is OK. If you have the bucks, name brand rods are always a good/better investment.

It pays to get a decent reel. There are a lot of good name brand ones out there. The last ones I got were also Gander brand and had 6 ball bearings and are still in good shape. Not the best reel you will find but not bad. If you have the money, go for a good name brand reel. The cheaper ones are no good after one trip. Try to get 3 rods with a little different action and identical reels if possible. I'd go for the ones with extra spools too. That would be a perfect set-up for LOTWs, 3 rods, 6 spools and 3 reels the same- so you can reuse the parts if one breaks. That would be my advice. If you have the money, more equipment is always a good idea since things tend to break more while ice fishing.

Looking at my rods, some say med-heavy action but have less backbone than the one that says "ultra-lite", so you need to bend them with your hands to test the power and not go by what they say on the rod. Generally, they have lite power but they do vary from rod to rod. You want a "slow" action as apposed to a "fast" action where just the tip is doing most of the bending. Just my opinion; I'm sure everyone may argue what's best.

Get good 3lb braded ICE line or 2lb during the day light and maybe 4lb for evenings. Mono just doesn't cut it outside the fish house since it freezes “straight” and when you wind it on the spool and then open the bail, it wants to all come off at one time- built in spring action but what a mess that you will constantly fight till it gets so messed up you are done with that rig. If you are always in a heated fish house, I’m sure certain monos are great. It really comes down to personal preference and what you are used to and have confidence in.

Frank....Itend to agree with Muskie Nut...I use thorne bros. walleye sweetheart rod and will have one for you when I show up with the Worum group in March. I use a shimano axuls reel spooled with cajon 4# test. That same combo pulled that 42 inch pike and 2 of the 29 inch eyes out of one of your huts 2 years ago.....Also use that rock n reel device that you have for deadsticking, very deadly....you were talking to my son and I out there last year as you were pulling houses off the ice and saw that in action.....23" eye. very good weapon to have in your arsenal.

D.J.Mickelson