www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing 12/26, 27

Default Fishing 12/26, 27

Hitting the river with one of my regular musky chasers from Erie on Friday and with a Father/Son team from the DC area on Saturday chasing muskies as well.

Good luck to everyone during the Holidays.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Well, started out after work, decided to hit a few spots and was hoping the ice was gone. Bad news was it wasn't good news the water is up the weather is warm and the water is flowing over the ice so it should go away soon I hope. I never got a line in the water it was way too high and had occasional iceburgs in it and I was not up for loseing my new lures. Oh well I will try agian tomorrow. Anyone else do any good? or atleast wet a line?

Jacob

Got off work in the morning and got all my stuff ready went to the warm water discharge at Brunners Island....shoulder to shoulder with people, spectated for a while, couple Catfish and an occasional Walleye were caught no Muskies. May get the boat out of the garage and take my wife out will try some white shallow invaders and a walleye and white bull dawgs.

Bob S.

Mark and I did a little bit of everything yesterday. When I noticed the outflow was increasing, we headed North of Warren to do some casting while the "clean" water was on the rise. The first place we hit, we rose a 50-inch class fish that I think had chased Mark's jerkbait but then liked how my Curly Sue was swimming so she nosed up to my bait as it approached the boat. After 2 horrible right-handed figure 8's (I was fishing with the wrong hand due to tendonitis), I lost sight of her so I left my bait in the water and dropped the rod tip under the boat and then............she blew up on it. I did not get any hooks in her face but did manage to roll her with my sissyfied hookset. I got a great look at her and she was absolutely HUGE. We went back on her 2 more times within the next 2 hours but no luck. Soon after the botched attempt at Moby Dick, I rose the heaviest walleye I have ever seen and it pounded my Curly Sue right at boat side but only hit the tail. This fish was one of those once in a lifetime walleye that probably weighed around 13-15 pounds and was in the mid-30 inch class.....Mark said the white spot on her tail was the size of a snuff can!

Earlier in the morning, Mark thought he had a very good rip while trolling with rod-in-hand and that was it for the day. All action came between 10am and 2pm.

Back at it this morning with a Father and 11-year old son from DC chasing muskies/pike.

River is up about 6-8 inches. Temps South of Warren are 34.7 and 36 North of the city.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-27-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Nicco, Andy and I did a 6-hour day in rising water conditions. Nicco (the 11-year old) caught 2 nice pike in the 34-36-inch class in the morning and we did not see anything else the rest of the day. River really came up fast today and debris became a problem the further South of Warren we traveled.

Nicco's 8-year old brother caught a 47-inch musky with me over the summer via a coin flip in the boat prior to our trolling run so Nicco had been listening to his brother talk about catching that fish with the big teeth. Nicco got his revenge today.

Today was the last trip of '08 and was a great way to finish up a good year.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-27-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Hey, you forgot to leave the GPS cords of the fattie.....ha ha

I'm going to battle the winds tomorrow and give it a shot.
    Gust to 40MPH.

Well it was at least 40 MPH....

I look like a Yankee boy after the first day at the beach on vaction in the middle of January.........I have never been so wind burned!!!!!

Caught nothing.

North of Warren was nice ,little color, dam is open again and that water has some color to it so should have some nice water for awhile.
    South of Warren was a mess, floating debris and muddy.

Should of skipped the river and fish the dam.

Just got around to reading this thread...........

Toothyfishman,

As far as the GPS coordinates go, you already have them and have banged the heck out of that spot for years. I did not realize there was a tanker in that area until that day and she happened to be moving on the dark moon phase....concidence??...I do not think so anymore. I have been seeing some really big fish that I did not know were hanging around my milk-run spots. IMO, these bigger fish behave much differently. I know guys say "a musky is a musky", but I am tend to disagree about that in clear bodies of water.

The bottom line is that I blew another BIG fish. I hope I get another chance before the rest of my hair is gone.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Here is a pic of Nikko's fat pike from our December trip........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nikkopike1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	3847  
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress