What do you guys think of this concept? A trolling rod with a length and action designed specifically for trolling for musky with an integrated line counter built right into the rod. No, not a clip on, but a line counting mechanism that replaces the first line guide on the rod. I'm awaiting pictures and will add them when I receive them.

My thoughts:

From a conceptual concept, I love this idea. Most guys that troll even as little as a few days a year purchase a trolling rod rather than use a graphite casting rod that is too stiff, and brittle. Sometimes a catfish type rod that can be used for suckers, but a separate rod none the less.

A line counter reel is extremely valuable, but not mandatory. Therefore very few of us use quality line counters. Pretty much only the high frequency trollers. Most guys with line counters tend to buy the cheaper ones, that have very poor drag systems. Need constant adjustments, and can freeze up on a big fish. Integrating the line counter into the rod would allow you to use a high quality reel that you probably already own. I see this as a natural.

Another problem is the size of existing line counter reels. The existing models are really not big and beefy enough to handle Wishmaster and Harbourmaster sized lures. Te best solution has been to use the Penn 320 sized reels with a clip on line counter for the rod, but clip ons have their own issues.

Again, I see this as a winning concept, but am interested in your opinion.

So, as we say in Chicago.........Vote early, and vote often.