www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Kinua tailwater launch access

Default Kinua tailwater launch access

I just spoke with the ACEngineers at Kinzua Dam and they DO plow/salt the launch access at the tailwaters the best they can. It is open and clear right now. During periods of heavy snowfall and plowing is not frequent enough to keep the launch access road clear, they will pull a chain across the road and close it. If you have launched your boat in the morning and then the extreme snow fall comes, they WILL NOT CLOSE THE LAUNCH WHILE THERE IS A TRAILER IN THE PARKING LOT.

There were a couple of years before the launch was upgraded (1993-1995) and plowing was not happening that I would take my 14ft. jon boat apart and carry/slide the pieces down the launch road, put the boat back together and fish. Then I would tie a rope around my waist with 20hp prop engine laying in the floor and drag everything back up the hill, put the boat back on the trailer and attach the engine and go home. Those days are over now.

If you ever need to call ahead to find out if the launch access is open, the number is 814-726-0661. Hours are 8-4 if you want to speak to a human.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-10-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Spoke with the Corps or Engineers again yesterday and they are probably not going to salt the steep launch but will plow it as long as they can keep up with it. Major storms will not be dealt with as a top priority because of the hazard of sliding into the river or being stuck at the bottom of the 60 degree incline.

The bottom line is this.......do not bank on the launch being completely clear. The snow might be plowed but will still be snow/ice covered unless you bring your own salt and do it yourself.

Be sure to call ahead if planning on using the tailwater access so you can get the current status of the launch.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com