www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Kipling Ice Conditions?

Default Kipling Ice Conditions?

i heard that people are ice fishing kipling but i was wondering how far out does the safe ice go for? I would like to get out this weekend to fish and i want to make sure i do not wonder out to far. I would like to get inot some nice walleye or perch!

No reports on ice thickness just yet. We should be making good ice the rest of the week. You won't be the only person out there this weekend. A normally safe bet is to not go any further out into the bay than the rest of the fishermen. There's a little snow on the ice. Stay away from any slushy areas where other people haven't been fishing at.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

I had a good solid 5" out to about 1/8 mile from shore near the coal piles on the other side of Butlers Island. The entire upper bay is frozen and the narrows and areas south of Gladstone have skimmed over. USE CAUTION if venturing out. I could hear it making ice right at dark. Most areas in the upper bay should be OK for foot travel this weekend and possibly light 4-wheelers or snowmobiles (NOT cars or trucks!) by next week if weather stays the way it is. Always stay away from the river mouths ,the North tip of Butlers Island, and especially Saunders (Deadmans) point off Gladstone. That area has claimed lives for 100 years. We could still get rain before Christmas like we've had in the past so use good judgement, watch the weather and if it looks like a warm up get those shacks off in a hurry.

Steve

do you think that the ice will be safe for four wheelers by sunday?

Fishinmachine, hard to answer that question. Two nights ago in the area I fished I had 5" and its been making ice since then and will go down to pretty low temps tonight. However, there are some mixed reports about a couple pressure cracks, caused by high winds, and possibly rain on Sunday. So, with that said, you could bring your wheelers but use extreme caution, and walk out first to an area you'd like to fish, spudding your way along to check ice thickness. The upper bay is the only fishable area right now, and in no way is all of it navigable with a ORV. Another idea........I always wear a float coat or PFD of some kind when on the ice. Do it. Your family may thank you because of it and no fish is worth the worst case scenario! A float plan (telling someone where you are and when you expect to be back) and a cell phone in a ziplock are also great ideas.
    Last edited by Enterprise; 12-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    These are the voyages of the S.S. Enterprise......to search out new weedbeds....to explore new reefs...to boldly go where no muskie fishermen have gone before.

ok thanks! yeah i like those ideas and sunday is when i'll be out their so i hope its not raining!