www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Yellow River

Default Yellow River

I was thinking of trying for some walleyes this weekend in the Yellow River by Buckhorn State Park. Is this typically a good place to start early ice for walleyes? I have only ice fished the lake one time, however, I just moved to the area and plan on doing a lot of fishing here. I have been told by a few locals that there is basically zero night bite on this lake and its almost not even worth trying. I am just looking for some general areas I can fish boards and not have to walk so far. Once the ice is completely safe and I can take the quad out, I'm sure life will be easier. Thanks in advance.

Hi dan;
    I would be very careful around both of the "Yellow's" for a while. Don't forget they both have current.
    The night bite has never materialized on Castle Rock and Petenwell like we have on Koshkonong. I think it is mostly because of the deeper water and areas these fish have to roam. Not to say you can't catch them at night if you find a hump or point that is holding a food source. On Koshkonong I always had my ice shack in Haight's Bay because this area always had a lot of red worms in the mud that attracted the fish to this spot. Even in the summer it is hard to get a good night bite going here.

Keep a tight line!!!
    & be safe out there!

Jerry
    Angler's Pride Guide Service
    Jerry Tipping

Web Site: http://www.anglerspride.com

Default Hey Everybody

My name is Randy,
    I'm a long time lake-link member but new to this forum. I have heard a lot of good things about Jerry. I mainly fish the Rock. Last ice fishing season I caught Walleye and Crappie but spent 75% of my time trying to find Perch. I did not catch a single one. My dad gets mad at me because he says we don't go ice fishing we go Auging because I move around so much to find them. Do they only bite late in the season or are they just really hard to find?

The good perch bite usually gets going late in the icefishing season. Most of the people I talk with say mid February to ice out is best. Anyone else have an answer?

Jerry
    Jerry Tipping

Thanks Jerry I have also heard that and tried last year but I didn't come up with any. I'm hoping to bring my quad out there next weekend but I'm not sure if it will be ready by then.

Jerry,

Thanks for the timely response. Your expertise on this body of water is truly appreciated. I am mainly concerned about the night bite for when I get done with work. When I lived in Fort Atkinson, I could go out for a few hours after work and have decent results with the eyes on the river or lake. I just don't want to waste my time if it's not worth it on Castle Rock. If I have to fish it during the daytime, that's fine, I'll wait until the weekend rolls around. Are there any other lakes in the area that have a viable night bite?

I have not heard of any but maybe Arrowhead, Camalot or Sherwood, with the clearer water a night bite might work there.

Jerry
    Jerry Tipping