www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lets talk about the weather

Default Lets talk about the weather

Well its cold, most of the small lakes around here have enough ice to walk on but the big lake is still unsafe in most places. But with the cold of late and not really a lot of snow we should have great ice by mid December. I am hoping to get out as soon as the day temps start to warm up a bit, our high yesterday was -20 celcius and today will be -16, long term looks better. I am in the process of starting up my small bait and winter guiding service(requires ice). I am bringing spikes/maggots to the area as the only live bait you can get out here is Minnows. Spikes/Maggots will be a great bait for those finicky Crappies but are also killr on Perch and Walleye. I tip my jigging spoons with them or on a small single hook 6 or 8 inches below a jigging spoon. I will distribute them through a couple of bait shops in town here but I hope to do most of my business right out on the ice, driving the iceroads and talking to people, fishing, and delivering bait, seems like a great way to get out more(even when its cold) and beat the winter Blahs, and who knows... might make a few bucks.

So anyway I started out talkin about the weather and I am going to finish up with weather....here are some photos of Witch Bay's weather over the past few seasons, enjoy the photos and enjoy the winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	692.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	3379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	746.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	3380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	751.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	3381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	685.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	3382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	753.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	3383  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	652.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	3384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	676.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	3385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	757.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	3386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	789.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	3387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	783.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	3388  

Default The Moods of the Lake

Nice Collage' Wayne. It really shows the moods of the waters and weather we who been there know it pocesses. I'm looking out my window at the 6 inches of snow on the ground, but I'm dreaming about my return to paradise the end of June. Enjoy your winter, and don't be too shy with your ice fishing photos.....Mike.....

Default Impressive

Wayne,

I love the photos of Witch Bay and agree with Mike about how these pics can really show the moods of the Bay and you can just feel the strength in them. I am still busily working on my scrap book from June and have a very neat picture of your sillouhette in the evening while muskie fishing I'll have to show you. I may try to post it on angling masters.

Hi Janelle, you must have some great photos from camp, you can post pics on here as well, I would encourage all who have photos from camp to post them, would be great to see some photos from way back. Laura found a cool pic on the internet, from way way back I will post. I see enough of my own pictures, I would like to see others start to post some as well. I have not been icefishing yet but anticipate I will be on the ice the very next day the temps rise above -20 degrees celsius. I am also in the process of moving, once I am settled at the new place I will be a fishing fool. We found a place right on the lake that was affordable and rent free through the summer months, its a great little place with very fishy waters right out the back door, should make for an interesting winter. Take care and keep us posted.

Name:	Wendigo Mine.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	3475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WB 08 (381).JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	3476  

P.S How is Derek doing? Is he a nervous wreck yet?

Default Nerves

Wayne,

If Derek is nervous, he sure isn't showing it. He is one that tends to not want to prepare for things, then at the last minute will get a bit crazy if you know what I mean. I am more of the preparer so that I don't go crazy in a stessful situation. I am making him read a couple books and go to a 12 week class on being a loving husband and coach during labor/delivery. We'll see how it turns out =)
    I bet you are really excited to be close to the water ALL the time! That is great that you guys have found a place. I'd love to see pics sometime. I'm sure you'll love it more than your apartment. Guess that means you'll be playing less poker in the off season, yeh?
    I will try and post a picture today if I can figure it out.
    Mom just got a new dog on Sunday. I get to see it in a few minutes for it's second vaccines. Can't wait! Her name is GiGi- which my brother thinks sounds like a stripper, but I think it's quite cute for a small dog. She'll be making her first trip to Canada this summer as well- hope Ming likes her.

Take care!

Name:	DSC00842-1.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	3509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00798-1.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	3510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00838-1.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	3511  

Hey Wayne,
    While you are up there drilling holes through the ice, I'm still fishing lakes with open water. Attached is a picture of an eight pound fatty that I caught Friday night trolling Lake Geneva under the full moon. Temp's were a balmy minus 14 degress c. Warm by your standards, I'm sure.

Have a great holiday season.

Ed

Name:	clip_image002.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	3512  

No thats pretty cold, although we have been averaging -20 for a day time high for the past 2 weeks, making good ice. That is a beauty fish you got there, I think if I am gonna fish when its -14 I wanna be on ice, I have not drilled a hole as of yet but I am planning on it soon. We are in the process of moving so between that and the freaking cold weather just havnt had the chance. They just started plowing the iceroads on lake of the woods 2 days ago so it wont be long. Hey how bout a 40" Northern through the ice, I got lots of room now maybe you come up in March when you can fish in a t-shirt.

Take care Ed

Great pics Janelle, you guys have a great holiday season, tell Derek I say hello, tell him I will be icefishing Christmas morning in my back yard, I will post pics. Here are a few shots from around the house.

Name:	DSC06126.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	3522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06130.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	3523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6022.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	3524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06134.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	3525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06135.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	3526