www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Winter Trout Fishing

Default Winter Trout Fishing

Well, I spent a few hours hittin up the trout over the last week to see how they've been doing since Musky took over my life. Now, its been quite a while since I really fished for them once there was snow on the ground, especially since I do not own neoprene waders any longer. However, I decided to double up on the pants and socks and give it a try.

All I have to say is WOW!!! I cannot believe the action in this cooler water. In just a couple hours of fishing today, I got some serious action. I spent my time nymphing, but also saw quite a few fish sipping on the surface. And, most of the fish that I landed were 14+ with one being around 18 and beautiful!!! This was all from two small riffles and I lost a few more nice fish.

I didn't have my thermometer with me today but I am guessing the water to be about 38-40. Any other trout guys out there that fish through the Winter?? Is this action possible through Spring or did I just happen to hit it right with this warmer day??

Musky will rule my life for the foreseeable future, but I will definitely keep taking trout "vacations" here and there!! LOL

Jay

Trout definitely eat during cold water times. The key to me is finding fish. If you are fishing a "wild" stream with a decent trout density or a stream that is recently stocked (project waters) then high numbers of fish are certainly within reason. Nymphing is a great approach as is using slow moving streamers. Although, fish certainly will chase flies or lures in cold water. Lack of competition from other anglers helps the odds as in many areas, the fish will "see" few when the weather get cold.

ppalko

Thats good to hear. Its been years since I really did any Winter fishing for trout and that was back when I first started Flyfishing. I'm used to these kinds of numbers throughout the rest of the year, just pleasantly surprised to see them in December!! And, just like you mentioned, not another person on the water. I was also surprised by the fight of these fish. I am used to a slower battle in the cooler water. Maybe its early enough that they are still willing to make some serious runs and jumps. Needless to say, I am gonna be sure to keep a rod rigged for trout for the next few months.

Talking

Optimum temperatures for trout are between 40 and 60 degrees. In that range they will feed the heaviest and move the most.

I have actually had better luck in water below 40 degrees in the spring.

As you said the best thing is NO PEOPLE...a stream all to ones self is a beautiful thing!

There are a few locals who venture to the tailrace section and pound on BIG trout all winter long....like you guys said, lower and slower is usually the best approach. The late-Fall and early-Winter fish (from the river) of all species seem to have that little extra burst of fight but during very early-Spring when the water here is just getting back into the low-40's, the fish seem much more lethargic.....almost a mini-hibernative state that takes them awhile to shake off. By the time the water gets into the low-50's, the trout are especially aggressive and multiple follows/slashes during the same cast is a fairly common occurrence.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-04-2008 at 09:05 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I was speaking in terms of using artificials that move faster than drifting live bait........in water below 45 or so, I usually thread shiners or drift/jig the Berkley Gulp stuff.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-05-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

It might be that I remember the late Winter/early Spring fight of these fish as opposed to the early Winter. I am still somewhat of a fair-weather fisherman and will probably not go out unless the temps are above freezing. I am not a fan of knocking the ice out of the guides every 3rd cast. LOL But, it sure was fun landing those fish on the 5wt Flyrod. Compared to the Musky gear that I had been using, that thing was like casting a twig!! LOL

I hear ya.......I was using a 20lb. sledgehammer the other day busting granite and the hammering was easier than pulling DC's all day!
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-05-2008 at 10:07 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Hey Red

Have You Tried Those Trout Lures I Sent You Yet?

I threw them for an hour or so back in September but went back to my "old faithfuls" because I needed to use something with a larger profile. I am looking forward to using them this Spring, however.

Thanks again!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Did you catch anything on them? How many did you loose in snags? LOL

Did not loose any of them and I did not get any action on them which was why I switched to my old faithfuls........I have used stuff like the ones you sent me but I only can move fish on them when the river has some color, which it rarely does North of Warren until Fall or early Spring.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress