www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Trolling Leaders - Solid or not?

Default Trolling Leaders - Solid or not?

Am looking for peoples thoughts on trolling leaders. I use single strand, but have toyed with using 7 strand. Would like to know peoples thoughts on pros and cons. I have shyed away from 7 strand mainly because of not trusting the crimps, just one more point of failure. Looking for thoughts on sturdiness, lure performance, durability on both, blah blah blah.

Backlash

I've used both, but prefer, and mostly use braided. The solid wire tends to kink. Especially after a rock snag. I can almost run the same braided leader all season. If I don't loose it that is.

I have never had a crimp fail. Especially since I almost exclusively use Gene Seuring's leaders.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

I mostly use Gene's leaders also. Never had a problem with crimps even when I did my one. The 19 strand that Gene uses seem very strong and the diameter is large enough so that it's easy on the fish.

I have friends who have used single strand, but they have gone to the the 19 strand. Single strand are mostly one fish leaders, and then need replacement or at least lots of straighting, and can be hard on the fish.

Tried Flouro-carbon some and it's easy to deal with, doesn't kink, very easy on the fish, but I didn't trust it up against the rocks of the LOTWs. After several fish I would start to feel little nicks and frays. Never lost a fish with one, but didn't think the worry was worth using them. I didn't seem to have any more fish hit while using them then I do with the steel.

Doug Johnson

I use 48" solid strand titanium, have caught many fish on them with no kinks or damage.
    Were can I get some Gene's leaders?
    Thanks

Funny you should ask. Why at the Bay Store of course. Pretty much the only leaders I use.

I am not a big fan of Titanium. My experience is that Titanium looks great and repels kinks well, but explodes unexpectedly one day due to metal fatigue. See it happen all the time with spinnerbait bodies.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

I have the same opinion of titanium. Works perfectly until it suddenly doesn't!

When I was first over with you in 2003 you had some fluorocarbon leaders on your casting rods, which you were trying out. Have you stuck with them or reverted to wire? I've been using a 130lb fluoro leader for the past 100 pike or so, and it's been ok, but I can't help thinking that the very fish you really want to catch will probably be the one with the equipment to slice through it!

As you catch more substantial fish in a summer than I do in many years, how did your tests work out?

I really never had a problem with the fluorocarbon, but also never saw a benefit with it either. Never had one cut through by a fish, but had some come awfully close. Requiring an immediate change.

I still use one occasionally, but pretty much because I own them. Mostly on a small bucktail. Definitely would not use on a Cowgirl. The first time I did, I had a failure not at the crimp, but at the tight bend in the loop that the crimp creates.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Thats good to know about titanium leaders!! Probably have to change out, and stop at your place next year to pick up some new ones.
    Thanks

I'd probably use them for a while before replacing. They're pretty pricey. Just retire them earlier than you think you should.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Default Leaders

I also had the titanium leaders fail. But the issue I had was the crimps. Actually had one crumble in my fingers by rolling it back and forth, that is what detered me from the crimps. The strand held up fine, even to my backlashes, but the crimp was really really bad.

I would assume that titanium has a lot of strength in tension, and very little in shear. If I remember, some of the titanium leaders had double crimps on them.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Default titanium/crimps

dittos here on the titanium/crimps. I've had crimps disintegrate. Did have one titanium leader that I can't tell you all how long it made it with just changing out the snap. Caught a bunch of fish on it up to 56.5" in length.

Put a new titanium on another rod only to have the leader disintegrate in short order and only a handful of small fish. After I saw that, I put them both down and went back to steel. I do use fluoro too. Will have to check out the stranded stuff.

Jono

Jono,
    Wow, I want to see a picture of your 56.5"er. I don't remember hearing anything about it. Any Details?
    Ryan

Default sleeves

I also use Gene's leaders ,and have for some time. The first key is he uses a harden alloy sleeve and with every crimp a special retaining compond is applied prior to crimping it bonds the sleeve to the leader. Each crimp is crimped to a tolarance of .002" they use a special set of crimping dies. The stainless steel/ fluorocarbon leader materials are of very high quality, and all leaders are pull tested to assure the proper strength is meet. Uncle Frank has access to all his products.

Default fishwizard

Hi Ryan, it was the highlight of last year's season and probably my lifetime of muskie fishing but I'll die trying to beat it.

send me an email.

jonolstadt@muskiesinc.org

Jono