www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Action Musky Lake?

Default Action Musky Lake?

I have been told Moose Lake would be a good choice as a musky action lake. I have sent away for a lake map. It seems to be relatively shallow based on what I have seen so far. My questions are: 1) What time of year typically presents the best opportunity for musky action by casting shoreline type structure (i.e. water 10' or less). 2) At the time of year answered in question #1, what are the possibilities for walleye / bass action? 3) It seems top water & bucktails in orange & other bright colors work best due to dark water, but what are the tools of the trade for the walleye / bass at this time of year?

Thanks,
    Eric

Default Moose lake

Moose does have good numbers of muskies. Good reproduction so there is lots of the little ones and if you fish it right you will catch plenty of 36 to 40 inch fish as well as some over 40 inches and bigger. With 25 years of catch and release and a 40 inch size limit for several years the fish in Moose are definitely getting bigger.
    I have lived on the lake and been a guide here for 29 years and have seen the average size get better right along.
    The best time to catch them casting is usually between mid June and mid September. Casting shallow shorelines will usually produce action but if you want bigger fish you will do better learning where to fish deeper structure and cover like stump fields and boulders, many of the best spots or not on the shorelines. As for lures, yes bright colors work but not always. Often I do better with more natural color bucktails like black or brown with copper, gold or brass blades
    As for other fish then, usually you can catch walleyes all summer in the evenings and the rock piles and bars will produce some nice smallies
    Live bait will catch both walleyes and smallies but small spinners and crankbaits do well in the evenings too.
    John Myhre
    Guide and owner of Sportsmens Lodge
    Last edited by John Myhre; 12-02-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Wisconsin Northland Outdoor Guide Service
    30 years Guiding Hayward area lakes
    715-462-9402
    John Myhre

Web Site: http://www.wiscnorthlandoutdoors.com

Default Musky action on Moose Lake

Eric,

Thanks for your message. John Myhre talks better than anyone about musky fishing on Moose. It is a fantastic lake. I have lived on it and guided on it for the past 6 years. I have fished many different lakes throughout the the US and Canada and Moose is one of my favorites. Haywardlakes Jim
    Jim Onarheim
    Hayward Lakes Visitors & Conventions Bureau
    Toll Free: 1-800-724-2992
    Web Site: http://www.haywardlakes.com

Thank you both for the information.

Eric