www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Boat Launches, Winter Fishing

Default Boat Launches, Winter Fishing

Hi Everyone,

I just found the site and was wondering if you guys could offer up some answers to some questions I have regarding floating the river.

I have a 16' High Side Drift Boat that we use to float the Youghiogheny and Middle Allegheny for both trout and smallmouth. The boat obviously needs to be trailered and a "good" launch is preffered, but we can rope/slide the boat in if necessary. Also, motoring back upstream is not an option, so we have to have a take out where we can get the boat out downstream. We have always wanted to fish the upper Allegheny, but weren't sure about what the conditions needed to be and where to find the right launches on the river for a day long float.

So, here are my questions...

If I were to put in below Kinzua, are there flows that are too low to float? I see that the PAFBC recommends staying off the water if flows are above 5,000cfs, but no mention is given to a low point.

From the dam, where would be some appropriate takeout options for a trailered boat? I see that there is one on the PAFBC map nearly 13 miles downstream, but that may be a bit too long for the short days we are under now.

How is the trout fishing through the winter? I've heard stories of nice fish, but can find very little info when I search the web.

Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Hey Mike,

I fish the river at any level and fish can be caught, even at the highest flows. The winter trout gig can be very good and right now would be a great time to be out there since the flow is unusually low for December and most of the bait fish have gone to winter out in deeper areas and undercut banks.

There is a pretty decent access point right in the city limits......Warren General Hospital has a heli-pad that also serves as a small boat launch. It would be 8-9 miles from the Dam. You will not be able to miss it as it is less than a mile from the confluence of the Conewango creek. The hospital will be on your left as you travel downriver.

As for the flow being too low with the boat you described, I would be very cautious with flows less than 1200cfs. Not that you will encounter class 5 rapids but if you are not wanting to get your feet wet, I think you can get through the RIGHT areas at 1200 as long as you have a decent bottom width on your boat.

Not sure if you know this or not but if you go to my "resources" page, I have a link to the Army Corps of Engineers web site that will give you up to the hour discharge rate for this section. It will be labeled "Kinzua Dam outflow" and is the 5th one listed from the top of the page.

Good luck.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

With low flow you'll need to have good boat control to avoid rocks but if you've done the Yough, you should be OK. I do a lot of island hopping, beaching the boat (square back canoe) and wading good looking areas. Between 1200 and 1800 cfs are normal summer river levels. Usually there are much higher flows this time of year than we are seeing right now.

ppalko

Thanks guys!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know how it goes when we make it up that way...