"Ty, could you go through your thought proccess as you start a day on the water step by step. What goes into your location, lure selection, retrieve etc?"

This was under a different topic so rather than spin off of that topic I thought I'd move it here.

The first thing I look at is the weather. Is it cloudy, windy, cold or the opposite. I try the wind blown shores first and then if that doesn't work I try the opposite. Some days the fish don't want to be in the wind. As far as spots goes, some spots are just better in the morning. That's something you just have to experiment with. Overall main lake spots are usually good but not the written rule. Like always, I move a lot and try to find the hot areas. I do fish a little shallower than normal early in the morning.

As for lure selection, that changes throughout the year. Topwater is usually good with a few bucktails thrown in for good measure. Spring and fall call for smaller and bigger baits than normal. Lure selection varies year to year. We definitely found that out this year.

The retrieve speed can vary also but for the most part a medium retrieve works best on the Chip. You'll see times where a faster or slower retrieve is better, but try to reel at a pace that makes your bait work the best. That's the key.