www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Succesful hatch ???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation

I got this email earlier this morning from Shawn Hirst (IDNR District 21 Fisheries Biologist)

-----" Thanks for the email and the picture. Without actually seeing the fish (or a photo of the fish out of the water) it would be hard to determine if the fish being observed is a baby muskie. Most of the muskie stocked from the hatchery are 10 plus inches at stocking although a few may be 1-2 inches smaller. However, these stockings typically occur in July/August and these fish should obviously be bigger late in the fall. The fish in the attached photo could posibly be a grass pickerel which have the same body shape as a muskie but are usually less than 10 inches. These fish have a small "tear drop" marking below the eye and the dorsal fin seems to be more pointed than on a muskie. I've attached a picture of a grass pickerel showing the facial "tear drop" which I sort of see on Mr. Zuko's picture. I would be extremely interested in seeing an out of water color picture in the future if possibly. Please remember that it is illegal to possess a muskie less than 48 inches so you would want to take the picture immediately after you capture the fish and then release the fish afterwards. Thanks again for the interest and email. have a great holiday season. "-----

I have attached the picture he sent me in the email.

Any thougths on this one?

Last edited by K4Muskies; 12-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    We Who Are Truly Brave Will Never Live In Fear...