www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: what is must have musky tackle

Default what is must have musky tackle

what would you guys say would be must have musky takle besides rod&reel?im going to start musky fishing dont want to end up getting the wrong stuff or something to big for the river.

First off I think that we can all agree that there is no such thing as too big. I would definitly get a couple of Suicks they are a great bait, easy to work and catch fish! I love the 9" weighted in sucker and santa is bringing me one is orange with black dots I hope. Next are bucktails choose the size that you want and the colors, I try to get one natual and one bright in any lure that way I am pretty well covered. Of course a crank bait like a jake, grandma or shallowraider one in fire tiger and the other is a matter of personal pref. A few deep divers and then some surface lures. For deep divers, I like depth raiders and Ernies, on the surface I like Jackpots and topraiders. I think that it is important to cover all your depths from surface to bottom so that you can match the situation. Alot of people swear by bulldawgs and simular lures and there have been tons of BIG fish caught on these I have yet to have any luck on them but they are one of my new years resolutions..... to fish them more and to catch something on them. you will also need a hook file! Hooks are never sharp enough from the factory! I am sure that I have not even come close to hitting on all the points, everyone else I am sure will chime in with excellent advice.
    Good luck!

Jacob

Before you purchase your 1st lure you should have all the following. Pliers at least 2 pair, jaw spreaders, Hook cutters, hook sharpener, Net.

T the hooks then sharpen them with all the lures before you use them.

Good luck and remember to have the camera ready for a very quick release!!

I would suggest a plentiful amount of disposable income in your bank account. Getting into musky fishing, and the tackle involved, is kinda like a cross between having a chemical dependency and breeding rabbits. 2 turns into 8, 8 becomes 32, etc...and it seems like the lures just start appearing out of nowhere. You find yourself buying them just because. Problem is, it's tough to kick. I had a reality check the other day when my Mallard Duck painted Doc topwater lure came in.

"What if the muskies are only hungry for ducks?" I said to my 7 year old whom was wondering if Santa will be coming this year or not and didn't understand why I needed a duck pattern in my arsenal. Wait til he sees the $15 Baby Loon pattern Top Raider that's in transit from an eBay auction. My mailman can now rattle off by-heart the mailing addresses of Rollie & Helen's, Thorne Bros, MuskyTackleOnline, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and several other retailers.

Buy a nice big tackle box would be another recommendation I'd make. A Dunwright, or a Lakewood Musky Monster will do the trick. It will be filled before you know it.

I'm with Joe M on the release tools!

2 of my favorite lures to cast are Mantas and chatterbaits

Make sure the line you're going to use is heavy enough, I've stuck with Powerpro, but there are many more choices out there these days. Go with something in the 65-80# range, and make sure you have some good leaders as well, like 180# single strand wire and 130# Fluoro. I prefer using the stringease snaps with my leaders, just to make switching baits easy. Next it's the baits, and like others have said, it's addicting and it's tough to pick just one. So here's my recommendation: think of your lures as "tools". There are hundreds of types of screwdrivers out there, but they all perform the same task. The same thing goes for musky baits. Mantas are great jerkbaits and are easy to use, along with ERC Hellhounds. Both baits have the same type of action and are easy to work. Bucktails like Mepps Musky Marabous have accounted for thousands of catches. Crankbaits like Cranes, Big-Games, and Slammers are great river baits cause they have a great action and can be twitch, cranked, etc. If you're just starting out, go with smaller baits in the 4-6" range just to get a feel for it and the action, plus you have a better shot at hooking up. Learn the water you are fishing and the types of structure you should focus on during that season. And last but not least, stick with a bait for a while and stay confident in yourself. Muskies are few and far between, unlike most other types of fish, and can take a while for you to see and or catch one, especially this time of the year. Stick with it and you'll see the results of your hard work! Good luck out there and be careful!

I have been varying my leader thickness to match lure size the past couple of years. I use 200# flouro for my 6ft trolling leaders, mag dawgs, DC's and jerk baits........130# flouro for most summer baits excluding the aforementioned and 80# flouro for smaller cold front/spring baits. I have my XHeavy rods rigged with 100# Braid to prevent snap offs from casting and the rare "backlash from Hades" that stops a 100mph cast dead in its' tracks.

Checking all terminal tackle on a daily basis can save you a fish or two as well. Most of us start off with quality stuff in our hands but 4-600 casts during a long days fishing will absolutely begin to wear out equipment. 1 of 3 fish we had hooked (that I estimate were in the 50-inch class) was lost because of a knick in my 80# flouro and subsequently broke the leader after going mid-air and landing on the leader.

The first 1-3 feet of line really takes a beating as well especially the line just above the leader that hangs down at a 90-degree angle before/during each cast.....there is simply more friction applied to that area when casting or when dragging over rocks with lures that sink or dive deeply.

Think about the times when your bait lands wrong and gets fouled on the leader with razor sharp hooks.... plus, the barb is very sharp too and is always holding the leader inside the hook. Then you burn it back to the boat while muttering words that are not very nice.

Preventive maintenance is something we all have control over so why not spend the extra few minutes checking and replacing worn items??
    Last edited by Red Childress; 12-02-2008 at 08:27 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

These guys gave some good advice . But planning paitence and most of all confedence in your self and ability . they are big factors in this sport there number one in my tackle box. I think that throughing baits with these in place make baits and reterivel more consistant . It is unberable to stop bying baits and you will find your self having alot biuld up. BUt bucktails are a good start along with diver baits such as super shad raps , most of Bucher tackle work good in all aspects of baits and are a good base to start from and in most retailers like dicks were it would be a good distraction , hey honey lets go to dicks to see is they have that sport outfit you wanted. Ha.... good one

If you are going to do any fishing at night, get yourself some lights for the inside of your boat. I loaded up my new boat with several (adhesive backing) lights with 2 settings of intensities. Overton's has a great selection of lights that run on AA/AAA batteries. A Brinkman 400,000CP spotlight with the sealed/glare free lens is an absolute must. The 1 million CP stuff out there is not well suited unless there is a glare free lens. Trust me on this one.....more is not always better when the fog is on the water and you are struggling to see where you are going or finding a hooked fish or snag.

All the 1 million CP does is bounce more light back into your face which constricts your pupils and diminishes your vision. Always get the sealed lens then you can put/drop the light under the water with no problems.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

There are so much things out there,that are considerd the must have. There are alot of companies and alot to catch mostly the fisherman . Its so costly also . these guys hit alot of good points. bucktails are a good place to start very versatile bait . Bucher produces would make a good base and are commonly found everywere. they have a all around bait sellection. You will spend way more than you think its just a matter of time . every one has there opion on what baits to get . I have used there baits for years and they have done good by me . Good way to fool the woman also hey lets go to dicks to see if they have that sport outfitt for you slip to the musky section snag a bucktail slip it in there smart hah

Must have Musky "Tackle"?? My vote is for the following:

1) Sense of humor (otherwise, could be a short time before tackle goes flying in frustration)

2) Time (you fish for 8hrs without seeing a thing and then you get a follow, better add another few hours onto that because the "window" might be opening)

3) Drive (you need to be able to continue to cast those 8hrs in the first place)

4) Humility (Catch 1 or 2 and start to build confidence then you don't see another fish for a couple of months)

5) Focus (the second you start to admire that awesome looking weedbed to the right, you notice a Musky that had followed your bait as it loses interest as you miss out on a proper Figure-8)

6) Did I mention Sense of humor??

Honestly, if you're in it for the chase and not really catching numbers, you'll have a great time learning about these fish, I know I am. Those Musky tortured me a little during my first year but most of it was self induced. You'll get great info from the guys on this site. Good Luck!! We'll be waiting to hear about that first Musky in 2009!!

I like that ,very good ,

I remember when I first got a boat for Musky fishing. I set it up EXACTLY the way I wanted it. Before I got my boat, I got a QUALITY MUSKY net. I measured it and then decided what size boat I wanted.

The moral of the story: boats don't catch fish. However, to keep from hurting them (the fish) and perhaps landing them, a net may be your most important piece of equipment.

i know a lot of people swear by flourocarbon, but i just cant justify it for casting.

break offs...bite offs, etc...

i'd rather have 60 lb tyger leader wire than flouro.

Smile

How about a very large net. Beckman, Frabill or Stowmaster.

thanks to all.
    i know buying tackle is very addicting(got enough walleye gear to fill my boat). ive got a good variety of baits and all the release tools already just waiting on the rod should be here in a couple of days. im just about ready.

bbent,

It is nice to have you aboard the "financial black hole" better known as musky fishing.

Have you caught muskies while targeting them or just the accidental fish here and there??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

never caught a muskie that i know of anyway have had some big fish take some tackle from me. i have hit some nice pike on accident best to date i didn't measure but i would say was close to 32" all of which where released unharmed.

When you get your first one, you will never forget it. Make sure you have a good camera.

Good Luck!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress